Decision time for my SSS

CaboRob

The time is coming for me to make a decision on what to do...Ive owned her for almost 8 years... she has been sprayed with concrete from 7 floors up, taken apart painted and put back together...had paint speckled all over her and taken back apart and full dipped again...rear ended by a Caddy STS at 60 taken apart,fixed with "new GM"frame painted and put back together...only to that very same night I got her back after 64 days to be confronted by a deer at 50 fixed...everytime I took her to Faukner/GMC where she gets fixed right with new GM parts and looks and feels like I drove her off the lot.

Now just recently she got rear ended by a semi on I95 morning rush hour traffic where if anyone knows the Philly traffic its stop and go maybe getting to 30...So I looked at my reciepts and I am just over $50k in body and paint but not out of my pocket! This time around Ive been told $10300 in damage but my insurance wants to total her and even though I hold the title free and clear they reserve the right to take her and give me "fair maket value" ...and if I want to keep her they will sell her back to me for $4996 in salvage..they will deduct that from the $12,276 plus tax and title fees minus my $500 deductable...wtf

So over these 8 years I have put AEM cold air,Zippy tune and Zippy kit into my recently rebuilt trans,Gauge cluster with blue LED kit done by SIlverado777, Boush fuel pump,Goodmark steel cowl hood,Leer fiberglass cover, and last but not least the sound of flowmaster exhaust the gets my kids up from the tv to be doing thier chores when Dad walks through the door.

Yesterday I drove over 5 hours round trip to look at a 03 black twin of my truck...minus the ugly PepBoys pinstripes why people do that is beyond me but he bought it a year ago for 15700 and now has been tring to sell it for $12900 firm, now by all means I feel my truck is easily worth $18-20k and this one is unmolested but all the goodies that "us" on SSS.com have put on our trucks is not on this one I offered him $11400 and walked away it needs a full set of tires and a state inpection...

So my friends my question to the forum is do i tell my insurance I want my truck, let Faulkner do the roughly $8k worth of work on her minus probally paint ...oh it will now have a "salvage title" from now on and have to pass a enhanced inspection from the state to be registed...I cant get through to the insurance that my truck is worth more than the industry "NADA book value" that they say it is am I to keep mine (which I wanted to keep forever) at least I still have one help me brothers..

post-8305-0-46616300-1357489015_thumb.jpg

Its a hard one because you have a heathy past with the truck. I'm the same way about my truck. I've told myself id never get rid of it. but its hard to hold onto a vehicle with a salvaged title. in other peoples eye's the truck is worth almost nothing with a salvaged title. So i wouldn't kept the truck. As much as it would hurt id would let it go. thats a lot of money to put back into a truck that has a salvaged title. Plus what it after you have it all fixed something happens to it again. I know my insurance wont cover much for a vehicle with a salvaged title. they only cover up to like 50% on the total vehicle value. look at it in a buyers eye. I know I walk away from a vehicle with a salvaged title. how do you look at a vehicle with a salvaged title?? they scare me a bit because you don't know how much damage was done. if anything you might have decent luck buying it back and keeping the parts you want and parting the rest out. then you could still have all your aftermarket parts you put into it and then add those to another SSS you find. for the cladding, interior wheels and drive train you could get your $$$ back. well best of luck. its a hard choice.

It's hard to let go of something you have had a lot of memories with. I'm in the same boat with my dad's original 86 2wd short bed. Cab corners are rusted out, dents, frame is torqued with the drivers side sitting 2" higher. Lots of HP on a stock frame!!!!. I plan to never get rid of this truck EVER. But also not my daily driver. Not even a Monthly driver. lol. But I agree with ShawnSS. You can still get some $ back and Put your aftermarket parts on the next truck. At least you would have some memorable pieces to follow your next awesome SS.

My truck has a reconstructed title due to being stolen and it didn't bother me when I bought it. I did however get it cheap due to lack up up keep by the PO and the title. But with that being so.....my insurance will pay me full value of the truck if it gets totaled in an accident. S In the end I would be making money.

It's all in what you want to do.....I would prolly buy it back and then buy another one. Swap your good parts to the new one and part the rest as much as possible then scrap the rest. You should easily make you money back from buying the truck back from the insurance company.

I say keep it and rebuild it once again, even if it is salvage title its just a piece of paper if you plan to keep the truck a very long time it shouldn't make too much of a difference. Also looks like it can be repaired pretty easily I've definitely seen worse.