front door speaker install question

What's the ideal way to mount aftermarket speakers in the front doors?

I have bought JL 6.5" coax speakers to replace the Bose ones, and the outer ring of the JLs is slightly bigger than the diameter of the stock mounting bracket. So i'm wondering what's the best way to install these are? drilling the 4 holes into the door and using the provided clips? Maybe with a layer of sound deadening in between speakers and the door? Ideally I'd like to re glue then into the stock bracket but its not possible. Want to get good sound out of em with no rattle.

Might even get a can of spray foam to go in the doors where there is no moving parts to fill the gaps

DONT DO FOAM!!!

There are drain holes in your door to let watermoisture OUT.. if you plug them i gurantee you .. you'll see rusted doors..

my door seams started to rust, and there was 'normal' dirt and grime inside the door. i had to pay $300 to get them resealedpainted

There are no factory holes. The stock speakers are glued to a mounting bracket that simply clips into the door, which is why I'm asking to see what the best way is to go about it, from people that have upgraded their own speakers in an SS.

Edited by ThatTallCanadian (see edit history)

I also replaced my Bose with JL about 2 years ago. I drilled the holes and used the clips. I also took some thin insulation I had sitting around and put it around the back of the speaker where it layed against the door. That kept it from rattling. Haven't had a problem since.

Do not do a shitty job and use the clips and screws. Spend a little extra time on it and you will be more than happy. I just did my component sets and sound deadened the inside and outside of doors. Then used a 1/2inch mdf ring with a little duct seal on it and mounted that to the door. Then predrilled the mdf and used more duct seal in between the speaker and mdf ring. After doing that I used the remaining duct seal to make a mound of sorts around the speaker.

Started doing inside with fatmat.

egatejeh.jpg

Picture of door deadened outside and inside.

pymatyvu.jpg

Finished product. I know you have coaxils but I will go ahead and say I retrofitted the tweeters in the factory mounts on the door panel.

edegedes.jpg

4a3aqu8e.jpg

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Also. Agreed, don't use spray foam. You can however toss some eggcrate or a deflex pad behind the speakers to stop the reverb in the door.

Hope this helps. :P

It didn't take too long. I was up really late on both Friday and Saturday nights in the garage because it was my first time also. But once the first door was done, the full install on the second door took around 2-3 hours. That's with running wire back to an amp and all. It's fairly easy and holy shit is my midbass great. I cut cardboard to cover the huge holes in the doors when doing the sound deadening on the outside.

I would say the most pain in the ass part was covering the holes with cardboard and marking out where all of the 60 million clips are on our doors. Oh, and getting the speaker wire through the boot. I really really suggest going this route. And if tou do it now when you ever feel like upgrading speakers you can just unscrew and screw the new ones in.

Edit: if you do go with no sound deadening I would atleast do the mdf ring and duct seal on the speakers.

Edited by TampaVmax (see edit history)