Drove in the rain, now truck is mis-firing

matt 2k12

Hey yall,

2 nights ago we had a large rain and I had to drive my truck around in it, not that it matters (I thought) but during the drive the truck developed a nasty mis-fire and it is now burning thru gas like crazy. The rain left 2 days ago but the truck is still driving like shit. I thought I had a wet filter or something but I pulled it apart and it is dry. I have a TBSS intake with a cone filter in the stock location with no water or splash shield.

Sometimes it drives fine, sometimes it has this misfire problem. Its enough for me to park it and drive my race car until it is fixed. I cant afford 3 MPG.

Any idea on what I should check? The electrical connections on the intake look fine, and they never had a problem before. What do you guys think it is? Has this ever happened to yall?

TIA

Wanted to follow up: Seems like when sitting still I can rev it up and it revs fine thruout the powerband without misfiring. But once driving it misfires to the point where the truck is lurching sometimes. It really only happens from 1500 - 3500 RPM, the lower load RPMs, when cruising around in city traffic. Once on the highway it kind of irons itself out.

Thanks again in advance

You could have got some water in the filter. Like said I would clean the maf and throttle body, as well as check the plug gap and how they are burning. If you can get yourself a k&n cleaning kit and clean the filter and re oil it. Just make sure to only most the k&n oil otherwise you will suck the oil in, And cover your maf etc and have the same problem. Only use electrical cleaner on the maf and let it air dry.

Do I clean the 3 little wires on the MAF directly or the MAF connector plug or what? Should I go ahead and clean all the connectors to my spark plugs as well? Also I did another test and it does misfire while sitting still but much less noticable cuz its not hanging out at those RPMs.... Is there a Throttle Position Sensor or throttle connector I can check? Anything wrong with drenching everything with electronics cleaner? Thanks for the responses.

If I had to guess, i'd say you have a bad plug spark plug wire(s). Did the truck throw a check engine light?

My guess would be that Fireman is on it.

You can test by taking a spritzer bottle and spraying the plug wires to see if you can aggravate the problem.

Sometimes a build up of dirt on the spark plug porcelain can provide a path for spark to run to ground and cause a miss-fire.

It's pretty common for this problem to show up more when the motor is under load, but idle pretty normally.

Good luck

I had a similar problem with my 2001 RCS 8.1L. I went through a deep puddle fast enough to soak my CAI filter. My truck had similar symptoms as yours. I was barely able to get her home and imediatly started checking things. I took the CAI off and let it dry and checked all my coils and wires. I cleaned and dried my MAF, replaced wires, and made sure all my coils were tight. Put dry CAI back on and started her up and to no avail it still acted up.. I was so pissed. So I took a leap of faith and replaced the MAF even though it looked good and lucky me it started right up and problem fixed. The MAF when warm shorted when the cold water was sucked up through the CAI and sprayed over the MAF screen.