Ring End Gap

MID12sSSS

Matt, check out this thread..

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/38268-7-cylinder-prone-to-failure/

start reading at about post #16. I didn't read through the whole thing yet but I was around for it all. Check it out. It was kinda new to do back then. They have done many more of them since then, and Danny's truck is still running well now in the mid 11's . So they must have gotten it right the second time.

I talked around the dealership a little, and ive heard lots of opinions. "you'll be fine!" and "woah dude! WAY too loose". So im going to call texas speed tomorrow and see what they say. If .028" is too loose for blown gas w/ meth application. May have to buy some rings, but oh well. Rather do it right than cross my fingers hoping it will work and blow it up... again.

I talked around the dealership a little, and ive heard lots of opinions. "you'll be fine!" and "woah dude! WAY too loose". So im going to call texas speed tomorrow and see what they say. If .028" is too loose for blown gas w/ meth application. May have to buy some rings, but oh well. Rather do it right than cross my fingers hoping it will work and blow it up... again.

I will call anchorage drag bike and talk to them real quick. I run pure meth in mine when I have my boost controller on, with no problems. brb

I just talked to Dennis at ADB. He said he would run those specs that you ended up with. He would have gone .024 on the top and .018, and .015. But he said you would be fine with a boosted application. Im not sure if he is as experienced as so of the other guys down south, but he did my motor right.

Matt, check out this thread..

http://www.silverado...one-to-failure/

start reading at about post #16. I didn't read through the whole thing yet but I was around for it all. Check it out. It was kinda new to do back then. They have done many more of them since then, and Danny's truck is still running well now in the mid 11's . So they must have gotten it right the second time.

Very interesting didn't know you could do that! That definitely sounds like the way to go with this block if they can't bore whats there. Then turn it into a 408. The bad cylinder is the famous #7, someone ran it lean with boost, same story as riddler's engine. I wonder where I should take this block to have the work done in Anchorage? I've heard of a place in Chugiak called AC Machine or there is always Midtown or ADB just not sure which one to go with.

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

Very interesting didn't know you could do that! That definitely sounds like the way to go with this block if they can't bore whats there. Then turn it into a 408. The bad cylinder is the famous #7, someone ran it lean with boost, same story as riddler's engine. I wonder where I should take this block to have the work done in Anchorage? I've heard of a place in Chugiak called AC Machine or there is always Midtown or ADB just not sure which one to go with.

I can't speak for the other shops, but I had good dealings with ADB. I say 408 FTW!!

Hey thanks again for all the help. Ill talk to texas speed tomorrow and see what they say. If i gotta put some rings in it, ill get them coming. We are gonna have to do some cruisin this summer for sure. I know its a long ways away, and without the proper tune im definitely not ready for it, but id like to do a couple 1/4mi passes in palmer this summer. Ive never been. Do they run drags on Eilson anymore?

Still open for opinions on ring gaps if anyone is still droppin in. Haha i know this kinda turned into an AK gossip thread :jester:

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

They haven't had races at eielson for a long time. It has been three years or so that they have had them at ft. Wainwright. And I would love to go to Palmer this summer. It is a lot of fun. And we know someone down there that has a professional video camera(ehhhhheem), Matt.

That would be a blast! We should get together with the fairbanks guys like you were saying, but invited everyone on an anchorage trip to go to the drags. That'd be the highlight of my summer. Everyone can crash at Matt's place. Haha.

Once the motor is tuned up and running great, I'd like to look into getting a better converter to shave some time off my ET. I've got a trailblazer tc right now. Not even sure where their stall range is. But I'd like to get a precision triple disc 2800. Zippy said that'd do wonders for it. Haha tomorrow can't come fast enough. I'm reading through all my engine books and forums etc. Sounds like .022-.024ish is the way to go. Id still like to see what texas speed says. If I need rings, ill see what the can tell me about Total Seal's gapless set.

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

Yeah that would be fun! I would definitely like to go to the track this summer sometime. I'm no professional

guy but I do my best lol and I think that was someone else holding my camera, good video none the less. Keep me informed if you guys want to do something like that this summer I would be up for it. Not sure if you guys could stay at my place though haha but your welcome to come check out my 57 Bel Air and other car projects I've got!

Yeah Matt. Sounds like a good time. I'd be nice to meet you while I'm down there this summer.

Well, just to put a cap on the ring gap subject, the .028" gap is within spec, but with a recommended .022" ring gap, the .028" is a little loose. The techs at Texas speed recommended ordering another set and going for .023-.024

So that's what I'm going to do. Maybe ill have my truck back NEXT weekend. Haha. I've been saying that for a long time though.