Header/Exhaust Questions and Advice

diggerdan11

So I am looking for some Header/Exhaust advice. I have been looking into several different options but I have a few questions, and need some advice before I make my decision.

I would like to get some headers for my truck, and I do not want to delete my cats. I don’t want to risk getting pulled over, plus there is always a chance that one of these days we may have to do emissions testing done where I live. While Im at it I was thinking about doing something different with my exhaust exit.

I know the stock exhaust is 2.75” and my current Glasspacks are 2.5”. I found a sweet black exhaust tip I really want but it is an oval with a 2.25” inlet on the tip.

Here are a couple options

#1 Pacesetter Headers, 3” Magnaflow Cats, 3” X-Pipe, 2X 3” Mufflers (magnaflows or flowmasters), new exhaust tips out the side (or maybe dumped).

#2 Pacesetter Headers, 3” Magnaflow Cats, X-Pipe, Current 2.5” glasspacks, with new exit.

#3 Pacesetter Headers, Stock Cats, X-Pipe, Current 2.5” galsspacks, with a new exit.

So my questions are:

What is the point of an X-Pipe, Do I need one, what exactly does it help do? I currently have true duals and no x-pipe.

Can I use my stock cats, or will they just nullify any power gains I would normally receive with headers?

Will it hurt my possible power gains if I go from a 3” collector down to 2.5” cats/mufflers down to a 2.25” exhaust tips?

Will I really get that much better power gain if I do full 3” system vs. a 2.5” system?

Obviously Option #1 will be by far the most expensive choice, but may give me the best power gains. #2 would be cheaper, and #3 even cheaper, but #3 might not give me the best power gains.

What do you guys think?

Edited by diggerdan11 (see edit history)

I say go with #1. I'm pretty sure the exhaust crosses which helps pull air out. It will help with the exhaust sound as well. You can do the smaller tip its not gonna hurt enough to tell. I hade dual 2 1/4 coming out of my muffler in front of the tire for 6yrs. I'd stay with as much stock pipe as possible and 2.5 is plenty big

A X pipe will help the exhaust scavenge which is what you want for optimal exhaust release. Basically it will allow both sides of the motor to harmonically remove the exhaust gases. It would help and does make a difference.

You can use the stock cats, but Im not sure how long they would last, and the power they would hold back. The best bet would be to use High flow cats, they are a little more expensive but worth it as they are meant for that type of application. In the 12 years I have had my High flow cats on my camaro they have never given me a issue.

No, unless you plan on building a larger cubed motor, and or adding Boost etc, then it could hurt power gains. Otherwise you will be fine with the 2.5 to the 2.25.

I myself always like to dump the exhaust. I am leaving my stock size exhaust in place with my magnaflow and doing a custom side exit. The exhaust tip isnt going to have any effect with exhaust flow.

I would do Number 1 with magnaflow.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

If you want to know about power loss from too big an exhaust setup, talk to slammedbowtie. He had a full 3" system with 1-7/8" primary LT headers and had a dramatic loss of low end torque. You have basic bolt ons Dan, a 2.5" system is more than sufficient.....

Also, I think you need to rethink your header choice and go with something stainless. Where you are located, a mild steel header even when coated won't last with all of the road salt and winter weather I would guess you see up in Oregon.

IMO with your setup youre nowhere near the power levels needing dual 3" exhaust, you will loose bottom end torque.

If you want to know about power loss from too big an exhaust setup, talk to slammedbowtie. He had a full 3" system with 1-7/8" primary LT headers and had a dramatic loss of low end torque. You have basic bolt ons Dan, a 2.5" system is more than sufficient.....

Also, I think you need to rethink your header choice and go with something stainless. Where you are located, a mild steel header even when coated won't last with all of the road salt and winter weather I would guess you see up in Oregon.

Ok thanks guys, looks like a 2.5" system will work out just fine for me. I would like to add a supercharger or turbo setup in the future, but we will see. Of course if I get a Turob setup the headers system I am planning wont work with th Turbo.

So can i use the stock cats? That would save me quite a bit of money, but I also dont want to pay the money for headers and not get the full potential out of them.

No matter what I decided Header/Cat wise I am going to change my exhaust exit point and go out he side.

FYI Dan: I live in High Desert of Eastern Oregon where its actually dry and we do not use salt on the roads, plus my SS is now stored in the winter. So I would think the coated Pacesetters would work just fine.

Pacesetter would be ok then I'm sure but don't use the stock cats. When u take them off look through them they suck ass. Check online monsterflow or flowmonster high flow cats. I don't remember which. I had them on mine until I went catless. There shorter and I welded them right to the header. Had them on for 6 yrs with no problem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/410300-FLOWMONSTER-Catalytic-Cat-Converter-3-HIGH-FLOW-MADE-USA-/150749278949?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item23195b72e5

Edited by JC03SS (see edit history)

I will look at the Flowmonsters. They are much cheaper but IDK if cheaper is always better, but you never had any problems so they seem like they would be ok. Those Flowmonster cats you posted say they are good for engines up to 5.9L and 6,000 GVW, are you sure those will work ok with the SS? Or should i get the heavy load ones?

Now I have another question:

Since a 2.5" exhaust will work best for me, and the colectors are 3" should I drop down to 2.5" before or after the cats? Should I get 3" cats or 2.5" Cats?

Edited by diggerdan11 (see edit history)

I'm almost 100% positive those are the exact ones I had and they seemed to work fine. I had the same mods as you do now. When I cammed it I took them off because I wanted it louder and wanted to hear the cam more so I didn't want it choked back to much. The stockers u can barely see through. These were only 45$ when I got them and like everything have gone up a bit but they worked well. I had 3" because I had them welded right to the pacesetters.

Edited by JC03SS (see edit history)

So Im thiking I might go ahead and do the side exit exhaust first and add and x-pipe. Then I can decided exactly what I want to do header wise. I think the X-pipe may help my performance a bit.

But I also have another options I could always change my mufler. From what i have heard this dual in dual out Maganaflow does the same thing as an x-pipe

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=10854

I found it on Amazon for $104 and shoot the Magnaflow X-pipe is $90. I know there are cheaper X-pipes but, but who knows about the quality. If I get a new muffler it might quiet down my current exhaust (glasspacks) a bit, because right now its pretty loud