Rough Starting

nkurs365@uwsp.edu

So about a week ago my truck started to act funny when i try to start it. On a cold start it starts up no problem, but if i stop someplace once the engine is warm and turn it off and then try to start it back up it starts really hard I have to crank on it and it will barely start up. Anyone have any ideas what i should be looking at?

Yes it does only do it when the engine is warm, It started right when we got a cold spell with a couple days below 0. To me it does seem to be getting worse. What do you think should be my first action to try and eliminate this?

How many miles do you have on plugs n wires? To me it almost has the making of a fuel pump starting to go. Idk if it could be the fuel filter or not but there only 11$ it cranks perfect on every cold start?

Yeah once its running it runs fine no check engine lights or anything.............only thing i did before this started to happen was changed the battery, and i dont see that having anything to do with this. If it was a fuel pump issue would it still run with no issues once it is running? I have never had a fuel pump problem before so thats why I am wondering. I appreciate the help.

OK so i did a little searching online and there was another chevy forum for tahoes and a couple of there members had 96 tahoes that had this same issue, both of the guys posting said that the coolant temperature sensor seemed to alleviate this issue. So I have 2 questions out there first where is this located, and 2nd do you guys think this would be a logical fix.

Thanks again for the help

It will run ok for a little while if its the fuel pump and will get progressively worse. It's a common prob. As far as the coolant sensor I've never heard of that. It does this every time? I would say keep an eye on it and if it keeps getting worse its prob the fuel pump. It's so hard to diagnose because of all the little things it could be. Did you try and ask over on performance trucks.net?

I have not tried asking there maybe I will go do a search on their forums. It has been pretty much spot on with the issue happening after the engine is warm, odd thing that did happen last night is I left my house drove 10 min to gas station put gas in paid, and it started right up no issue so I do not know if the issue will only happen if the engine gets fully warm?? Could it be a fuel pressure regulator as well? If i take it in would a diagnostic pick anything up since I am not throwing any lights at the moment?

It could be the fuel pressure reg. I don't think a scanner will pick anything up unless there's a light thrown. You can try and replace little things at a time. It's kinda just throwing parts at it but its almost what u have to do. You have to start somewhere. I hate to tell you to do that but if it were me. This is just me saying what I would do. I would change my fuel filter first and go from there. Maybe wires next and plugs maybe the fuel pressure reg i don't think there expensive.

I would try the fuel filter first its the cheapest and should br replaced if it hasn't been in a while.

Btw what year is your truck? If its 03 do the filter if its 04 and up I would put a fuel pressure guage on it and see what she does.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Edited by kissfans03ss (see edit history)