03 ss awd tranny slipping.

I have a 2003 silverado supersport with a tranny problem. I have a 2600 stall in it and a corvete servo. The engine has a small cam and long tube headers with full exhaust. My tranny has started to slip. It doesn't do it all the time, it started out as it wouldn't go in reverse. I can put it in reverse and sometimes i have to floor it to barley go backwards. Its like a total slip. The engine revs but no movement. It doesn't happen all the time though, just randomly. It happened once a couple of days ago on take off in drive. Like from shifting from 1st to 2nd it just reved really high like a slip but then went back to normal. It has fresh fluid and correct amount of fluid in it. any advice??

Thanks,

Chris Prater

It sounds like the trans is gone. even changing fuilds and all that wont help it. it will most likely need to be rebuilt or you will need to get a performance one or something like that. with the power adders you have a stock trans wont handle the power unless you baby it all the time. good luck all the tranny guys will chime in and help you out. there is a new thread like this every few months. stock 4l60e dont do good in these trucks. a lot of guys are having good luck with built ones. just make sure you pick a well known shop not just a hole in the wall. I have went throught 2 built 4l60s and wished I would have went with the baddest 4l60 at the time. it would have saved money in the end. it might suck to dish out that much $$$ but its well worth it. all that power is no good if the trans cant handle it.

Did you change the fluid yourself? Did you replace your pan filter? I've seen people leave the filter loose, or not put the O-ring in and have issues such as this. Was there debris in the fluid? What'd the pan magnet look like?

Depending on your future power goals of the truck, you may want to look at doing/purchasing a really well built 60/65 trans or the 80 swap.

Depending on your future power goals of the truck, you may want to look at doing/purchasing a really well built 60/65 trans or the 80 swap.

I can bet if you drop the pan you will have dark debris on the bottom of it.

A few issues will cause this concern. Low-reverse clutches are worn out (this is my pick), fluid leak in the reverse apply circuit, or broken sunshell. A broken sunshell will always lead to no-reverse at all which is the reason im pointing my finger to worn clutches as this is a "slip" or "flare up" concern.

Time to come out

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

I can bet if you drop the pan you will have dark debris on the bottom of it.

A few issues will cause this concern. Low-reverse clutches are worn out (this is my pick), fluid leak in the reverse apply circuit, or broken sunshell. A broken sunshell will always lead to no-reverse at all which is the reason im pointing my finger to worn clutches as this is a "slip" or "flare up" concern.

Time to come out

well said.