How to fix a random P0300

chawkins6789

What is the most likely cause. Random misfire, not cylinder specific. I failed my emissions test because of this. it happens about once a week and usually goes away after a 45 minute drive. But It pops at the wrong times. After I change this exhaust I need to fix this so I can pass emissions.

Where do I start looking?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes a clogged cat will absolutely cause a miss. like said above, change your plugs and wires first- it wont hurt either way and is most common issue. then, buy some MAF cleaner at auto parts store, clean off the MAF element, clean your TB with throttle clean (not brake cleaner, can mess up coating on TB plate), and last id check that cat out. if you can remove the y pipe and visually see down the pipe to see cat element, do that. if you cant, hit it with a rubber mallet and check for a loose sound/rattling sound. that indicates a bad cat.

also, i find that the tune can be a culprit MANY times. i have no experience with who tuned your truck. if you have access to HP Tuners your welcome to email me your tune, id be happy to check it out

Edited by kelleyperformance (see edit history)

its not that i think a plug "went bad", it could have fouled from internal issue, have a small crack, wire could have high resistance/small tear not visible... im just trying to help you here, this is usually the case on a low mile car in good shape with a random miss. you have stock wires and plugs?

Use a hand held lazer temp gauge and check those cats I didn't hear anything in the pipes just random miss fire I bought new coils wires plugs and it was my drivers side cat clogged up solid I was limping all the way to the shop he checked the cats and sure enough jammed we hollowed both cats and free flows now

what were your HC/CO readings. did they clear the code and retest, or just fail you on that..i would also check your fuel pump, and regulator for any irregular pressure reading drops. a slight drop in fuel pressure can cause a lean misfire. as stated above, have your tuner check his work. maybe he went a little to aggressive..

good luck

edit..how is your fuel filter? new, been a round a while?

Edited by desrtrat (see edit history)

what were your HC/CO readings. did they clear the code and retest, or just fail you on that..i would also check your fuel pump, and regulator for any irregular pressure reading drops. a slight drop in fuel pressure can cause a lean misfire. as stated above, have your tuner check his work. maybe he went a little to aggressive..

good luck

edit..how is your fuel filter? new, been a round a while?

he doesnt have an external regulator, he doesnt have a fuel filter (GM... :banghead: ) the fuel pump regulates the fuel pressure, its a returnless system so it kinda eliminates that issue. they pretty much either die or work, almost never in between.