I think I should get a newer vehicle?

Okay so I got this car that I bought in January of 2006 and I've owned it for 7 years now. People keep telling me to get rid of it and buy a newer vehicle. Oh the car I got is a 1995 Chevrolet Beretta Z26. It's a good car, but lately it just seems I've been not keeping up with the maintenance sort of, sometimes I push things off and do them later. Well I do like my car, but I just don't know if I should ever get rid of it because it's a good car and it's reliable. I have been thinking a lot now about buying a Silverado SS. Thing is before I talk to my credit union, I would need to find a Silverado SS Intimidator that I would like to buy so I have a price to tell my credit union for the loan amount. And from there they would figure the down payment amount and interest rates and monthly payment amounts. What do you guys all think? I really want to keep my car, but I kind of want to move on however I would like to finish this car first before I sell it, that is if I ever did decide to sell it. Anyone got some words of advice for me?

what do you mean by "you want to finnish this car first"?

if its a reilable car id see if your able to keep it and buy the truck you want. that way you dont have to make a badass SSS your DD.. ik i loved having a second car when i had my SRT8. but i only got my ss now and would love to have a beater during winter time and to keep miles of the SSS. best of luck to ya hope it all works out for ya

Edited by BLNAWAY (see edit history)

Yeah this car has been reliable, but the engine is leaking oil and just before I put my car away in my storage unit, it lost all oil pressure. So I hope the oil pump didn't go out. I had just bought oil and oil filter for it the other day and was going to change the oil, but it was just too darn cold outside. I don't have a heated garage to work on my car in right now. So I'm going to be waiting till next time I get back home from driving truck again. Anyway it has one major issue that I already had repaired before. It was leaking oil out from the lower intake manifold. So I saved up money and took it into the shop for them to fix. They did fix it and it wasn't leaking oil out from that spot anymore. Now it found a new spot to leak oil and it just really is frustrating me so much. I want to finish fixing everything wrong with this car, but it is hard because since it is my daily driver while I'm at home, new problems come about and I have to end up saving more money to get them fixed too. I've basically replaced almost everything on this car. It has a lot of new par ts and it is a reliable car, but I just don't like it when it leaks oil and something else major and costly comes up. I've maintaned it good and kept it going since I'ved owned it. I'm looking to try to get it done this next time I go home again, maybe if I have the money to spare for it.

Your car sounds like my old truck. Ran great, never stranded me, but had lots of little issues that ate me up financially. I reached a point to where i decided it was a great vehicle, but it was really a money pit. I got tired of fixing something and always having that feeling, well whats next..... and there was always something every few months.

Just my opinion, i say sell it and move on.

As far as the loan, you dont need to find a SS first, go to your bank, see what you qualify for, and that will give you an idea of what price range to start shopping in. Thats how i did it. Im sure theres many ways to do this though.

Yeah I could do that, but I got a loan out currently with my credit union now. I have to pay that off first. It was a student loan that my credit union paid off for me because the interest rate was a bit high. Credit union got me a better interest rate. I could pay it off maybe inthe next two or three months, depending on how much I work and drive and also depending on the amount of miles my company gives me per week.I'm currently switching jobs to a different trucking company doing flat bed hauling. Pays more money and company seems to be better than this one that I'm with now.

Sell the beater and buy a SS... Why else are you on here? you always post about wanting to buy an ss. You have a steady job go buy it.

I wish it were that easy. I'm on here because I discovered the Silverado SS back in 2008 and I grew into liking it. Right now I'm a fan of it because money has not allowed me to buy one of these trucks yet. I have to pay off my student loans first or I will just dig myself a deeper hole of debt that will be hard to handle and keep up with. I'll get to that point eventually, but for right now I have to focus on paying off my bills and student loans. I like these trucks a lot and I see a lot of them out on the roads in almost every state I drive through. I saw a Intimidator SS out in Utah, guy was driving it on snow covered and salted roads. I wasn't too impressed with the sight of that. I've seen some in Tennessee and Kentucky, Texas, Illinois, Missouri and many more. I wish I could go buy one right now, but I just have to hold off. This really does suck, but bills nd student loans can drag on and on if you don't pay them off as fast as you can.

I wish it were that easy. I'm on here because I discovered the Silverado SS back in 2008 and I grew into liking it. Right now I'm a fan of it because money has not allowed me to buy one of these trucks yet. I have to pay off my student loans first or I will just dig myself a deeper hole of debt that will be hard to handle and keep up with. I'll get to that point eventually, but for right now I have to focus on paying off my bills and student loans. I like these trucks a lot and I see a lot of them out on the roads in almost every state I drive through. I saw a Intimidator SS out in Utah, guy was driving it on snow covered and salted roads. I wasn't too impressed with the sight of that. I've seen some in Tennessee and Kentucky, Texas, Illinois, Missouri and many more. I wish I could go buy one right now, but I just have to hold off. This really does suck, but bills nd student loans can drag on and on if you don't pay them off as fast as you can.

Sounds to me like you've got this pretty well figured out, Cody.

You know what you bring in in a months time and what goes out. You realize that the outstanding debt needs paid down.

Sounds to me like you need someone to give you a good estimate on what it would cost to get the car reliable, (Add that cost to the credit union debt if you have to), get the car in good DD shape, pay down the debts, and keep looking for the right truck for a while. All the truck ain't gonna disappear tomorrow. Get your ducks in a row first.

Good luck to ya. :thumbsup:

Edited by Downeast Johnny (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

You've got your plan down solid and you have your goals, you do not want to overwhelm yourself with another payment. If its a realiable DD keep it and keep your eye out for the right DEI SS. Sometimes waiting will create a better option down the road. If you rush you may push yourself into a situation you wish you never got into. You will find the right DEI SS truck when the time is right.

i have owned what seems like almost every car, from an STi to an SL 65 to a Kodiak. i have never kept one more than 1 year excpet my SSS, i have not been able to sell it. IMO thats saying a lot since its put up against $100k cars and its the only one thats stayed :)

my question is, if money is tight on this purchase why do you need an Intimidator? they are awesome but rare, and the regular SSS are hard enough to find in good shape. they are either beat to hell, have tons of miles on them, or are almost brand new and asking big money. just look for a regular SSS and put whatever it is you like about the Intimidator onto your SSS. there arent really many differences, just the headrests, emblems, bed wing, and different color grille. that wouldnt be a big deal to put onto an SSS. thats just my opinion :)