whining noise when off throttle

ok i have searched threads endlessly and cant find anything relative. it seems to happen more once the truck is warmed up. i hear a whining noise that happens once i let off the throttle after accelerating. i dont hear it when im on the throttle. now as far as i can hear it seems to go away if i quick throw it in neutral, ill need to drive it more to confirm that. but that would make me think trans or transfer case opposed to front or rear diff. correct? its not quite a grinding noise, definitly a whine that goes away when i slow down or accelerate. any help, thanks!

Sounds all too familiar, thought I had a tranny issue just got off the phone with my transmission shop, not the tranny but front differential. The tear down tomorrow will revial more and the cost. I'll post it. BTW, truck has 114k it's my intention to put at least that much more on the odometer, why? Because it's still the best truck I ever owned.

Mines be doing this for about 65k miles now and still no issues. I change my front end oil once a year and there is always a little slivers of metal but still going strong at 96k. Started around 30k miles in 07.

the noise isnt that loud....yet. so if its the front diff i may change the oil and drive it to failure. my truck has 96k on the clock. and i am amazed the trans is still holding strong. i blew 2 4l60e's within 2 weeks of each other both at 80k. in my old fullsize blazer and my work truck and this being awd i figured it would have gone already. is there any way to determine the cause beside removing the covers on the ground in 20 degree weather? lol. i dont think i could put enough torque on it if i jacked it up and spun the wheels lol. that front end has felt loose or funky for a while but everything is tight when i check it. should prob look at the steering shaft and front diff.