how much weight can i tow with my 2004 SS AWD

RustyWCA

I tow a camper that gets close to that, around 6800-7000lbs loaded down and the SS tows it like a beast. I thing there is plenty of motor to tow more, just not enough suspension to handle the weight. Without the weight distributing hitch on the camper, it sets the back end of the truck down considerably, it's got around 600lbs of tongue weight.

I've towed my tractor that weighs roughly 7800lbs short distances, 2-3 miles from job to job, while my work truck was down. It handles the pulling just fine but holy cow does it jerk the truck around. Not something I'd ever want to do more than once in a blue moon. Like the others have said, with some suspension/brake upgrades geared towards towing, we'd have a beast of a hauler but... why would you do that? :P

agreed with why tow with these. unless its ones in a blue moon. you can pick up older 7.3 ford diesels so cheap. that will town anything (passing 26000lbs total weight you need a cdl) im a diesel guy for DD truck, better mpg, better for towing, better mpg by far when towing, there frames are built to tow heavy loads, unlike a half tune. i belive the main thing is limited to 7000lbs is due to the hitch and brakes. even then i wouldnt put 15000lbs on the frame, its just not engineered to do it, just cuz you can doesnt mean you should when it comes towing limitation.