check engine light... gas tank sensor??

chrisprater

check engine light has been coming on and then going off on its own for a while, last two weeks it came on and then stayed on. I had advance check it. They told me to try a new gas cap, well that didn't fix it.

So they told me it could be a sensor on top of the gas tank or the vent on top of the gas tank could be clogged up.

Any advice on this or any knowledge of this??

Its a 2003 Silverado ss awd.

Thanks,

Chris

Its a canister on the back of the gas tank, get the AC delco part number its around here somewhere, an auto parts store should have one, it unclips from the gastank and there's a hose on it that detaches further up, you'll need to replace that hose too. Sounds complicated but its easy

I had the same thing happen to my truck. Dont waste the money on a new EVAP canister or vent valve. All you need to do is get under the truck and remove the plastic tube that connects to the vent valve. Remove the vent valve and use compressed air to blow the valve out. You might have to sit there for a a few seconds, you will hear the valve get unstuck. Replace the tube and valve and your done I never had the issue again. the gas cap wasnt at fault either.

The valve is right on the side of the fuel tank, you will see a big black box that the vent tube connects to.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

I had the same thing happen to my truck. Dont waste the money on a new EVAP canister or vent valve. All you need to do is get under the truck and remove the plastic tube that connects to the vent valve. Remove the vent valve and use compressed air to blow the valve out. You might have to sit there for a a few seconds, you will hear the valve get unstuck. Replace the tube and valve and your done I never had the issue again. the gas cap wasnt at fault either.

The valve is right on the side of the fuel tank, you will see a big black box that the vent tube connects to.

this is a option to but it ISNT a perment fix it cure it for 6months or so but could have it pop back up