Deteriorating Sss =(

THATGUYCRUZ

Well my truck has been sitting about three months now since the purchase of my daily driver. Ive only washed it a couple of times and havent driven it more than around the block once or twice. Well its been about two weeks since the last time I touched it so I went ahead and decided to wash it right now. I could just feel the pitting in the paint from the dirt just sitting there while washing it. After I dried her off it wasnt even shiny. I has a dull shine to it. After taking a closer look some of the small pits have cause tiny "pin hole" if you will paint chips that have obviously turned to rust. I drove her to the store and back after the wash and it rides like shit, tranny is slipping, acceloration sucks....... im going to cry...... than when i pulled back to the driveway i noticed a small oil spot where she was sitting. And I got an over welming scent of radiator coolant, and yup sure enough the water pump is leaking. I wish I had a garage, and wish I had the funds to get her right again. I said I would never sell her but the thought is crossing my mind now.............

With 85k miles on my SSS now and the fact that she has been (for the first time since I have owned it) been sitting outside, I can fell your pain. My truck is always dirty now when before it was clean and tucked away in the garage every night. As she sits right now, I need to do a complete/full brake job, shocks, wheel bearings, intermediate shaft, rebuild the entire front end and I think I even hear the front end whining. That isn't even including some cosmetic issues. I owe about what the truck needs in work (minus paint work). The thought of selling it every once and awhile crosses my mind but I keep telling myself it will be paid off soon and once I fix everything mentioned above, I will own the truck outright and it will run and drive like new. She should be good for another 100+k miles. I would like to pick up a cheap DD that gets better than 12mpg to keep the miles of the SSS.

My Silverado sits around too. I don't have a lot of time, or a lot to do with it (towing, etc). I used to drive it all over then I bought a DD. I would never get rid of my truck (unless for another truck) for the simple fact that, when I need it, I have it. It's a truck, it will always be useful. Don't sell! You'll probably regret it.

Edited by Grocery Getter (see edit history)

Thanks guys. Your words mean a lot to me. Lol we are talking like someone died or got cheated on by a girl. Yeah the thought just crossed my mind but I don't think ill be able to ever sell her, just talk about it. Just sucks cause she's just going to sit and get even worse...

Gremlins man! I had the same issue. Mine sat for a few months while i built the new motor, and just from it sitting, the powersteering pump went out, the alternator went out, as well as the battery, couple light bulbs, flat tire, and the paint looked like shit. Luckily they were all little things and easy to fix. Now after a good buff and wax, it shiny and new again! Just keep your chin up and maybe fix a little here and there until its done! Or save a little here and there and do it all at once. Haha.

Well my truck has been sitting about three months now since the purchase of my daily driver. Ive only washed it a couple of times and havent driven it more than around the block once or twice. Well its been about two weeks since the last time I touched it so I went ahead and decided to wash it right now. I could just feel the pitting in the paint from the dirt just sitting there while washing it. After I dried her off it wasnt even shiny. I has a dull shine to it. After taking a closer look some of the small pits have cause tiny "pin hole" if you will paint chips that have obviously turned to rust. I drove her to the store and back after the wash and it rides like shit, tranny is slipping, acceloration sucks....... im going to cry...... than when i pulled back to the driveway i noticed a small oil spot where she was sitting. And I got an over welming scent of radiator coolant, and yup sure enough the water pump is leaking. I wish I had a garage, and wish I had the funds to get her right again. I said I would never sell her but the thought is crossing my mind now.............

I would go out and buy a claybar kit and clay bar the entire truck, you might have to work at it to remove some of the pits if they arent in the clear yet. Then you are going to have to polish the truck with probably 2 or a 3 stage polish system to get the paint back in good shape. Your oil leak is more than likely coming from your oil cooler lines, they are common to leak. They attach on the driver side radiator as a hard line and then go to a soft line than back to hard to the back of the motor right near the oil filter. They are a PITA to replace as there is no right way to do it, as you just have to keep messing with the hard lines to line up.

All in all is a little work but I wouldnt throw the towel in yet. Alot of it is just from sitting and normal maintenance.

Ok ok, I think I'm going to start with the clay bar for my first step. And just have to keep it washed regularly so it doesn't happen again. I've never clay barred but I'm sure it's not difficult. YouTube is my friend lol. Ill get under there to see where this leak is from. Hopefully nothing major.