Hydroboost helper

BLNAWAY

this is a helper thread i didnt get enough pics to make a proper how-to. what im doing here is providing a link for the best how-to install hydroboost that i found to be the most helpfull and then adding in my info of things that your going to run into that i couldnt find in any how to

so to start anybody doing this mod i recommend using this link for step by step install lots of info and great pics http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/performance/383761-hydroboost-conversion-how-pics.html this will get you 98% of the way and ill help you get the other 2%

as i went thru my install i got to the point of mounting the booster up and this. is where i ran into my fist lil issue. i got a hydrobooster and acc. from a memeber on here. this is what he sent me (and more than likly what you'd get from junk yard if you went there for parts)at first i didnt kno what to do with everything i was thinking theres no way this would work.

photo_zpsff428dc9.jpg

but i found out you just use the booster.YOU WILL SWAP YOUR MASTER CYCLINDER AND RESVIOR OVER TO THE NEW BOOSTER. should look like whats pictured on the left is the booster and 3lines. the master cyclinder,resvior,actuator,all arent used

photo_zps8227cc5e.jpg

the other issue i ran into sealing the mounting point there is a mounting bracket you can by to seal the mounting point found it on ebay http://www.ebay.com/...8f102ed&vxp=mtr but that is not needed i just used rubber sealant behind the mount in engine bay and took the rubber boot off the old vaccum booster and but it on new one to seal inside

engine::

photo_zps5656ca42.jpg

inside cab::

photo_zps611f1b74.jpg

finnally last issue i ran into was wiring was told if didnt jump wires it'd throw CE codes and brake code. so for this you can do one of 2 things have it tuned out by your tunner or you can jump the 2 end wires on the connector off the assist pump off your old vaccum booster. since i dont have a mail order tune yet i jumped the 2 most outside wire (colors are dark blue on one end//and a stright black on the other. and thatll take care of any possible codes you might get

photo_zpsdb37f08f.jpg

this should take care of any unknown issuse you guys might have during install at lease this is what i ran into...hope this helps you guys and enjoy your truck being able to stop ona dime :-)

Edited by BLNAWAY (see edit history)

Thanks a lot for the pointers Alex.

I've read everything I can find on this swap, too, and still had a few questions.

You've cleared up a couple of them. :cheers:

You didn't mention anything about changing the brake pedal. Did you do that?

Edited by Downeast Johnny (see edit history)

I've read everything I can find on this swap, too, and still had a few questions.

Changing the brake pedal is mandatory.

good post, this will help alot of guys

I also want to do the swap so first ride hiting the brakes did you kiss the windshield or what

my passenger did I was ready. I would recommend do this before BBK great results for fraction of the price

Thanks for the tips but 2 things

1-did you use the factory master cylinder

and did it mount to the booster ok?

2-I think that plate on ebay is supposed

To take the place of the plate already

mounted on the master in other words

remove the plate on the master and replace it with the ebay plate.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Edited by kissfans03ss (see edit history)

yup as nick said you have to. Because the new booster sit higher in the firewall than the factory vacuum. That is one pic I wish I woulda remembered to take cuz the hydro boost pedal is prolly 4in longer than stock Edited by BLNAWAY (see edit history)

my passenger did I was ready. I would recommend do this before BBK great results for fraction of the price

HA HA that's awesome they must of been like yup brakes work brake check homie brake check. Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)

Thanks for the tips but 2 things

1-did you use the factory master cylinder

and did it mount to the booster ok?

2-I think that plate on ebay is supposed

To take the place of the plate already

mounted on the master in other words

remove the plate on the master and replace it with the ebay plate.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

for question 1 yes I used the factory master cylinder and resivor bolted right up no issues at all

#2 the way I see that mount working is to reduce the hole size in firewall small and keep the arm that attaches to the brake pedal straight that where my boot came in. But you would have to stud the plate or have fun getting bolts o hold it thru firewall it seems like way to much effort for nothing but i could be misunderstanding the concept of this eBay mount. My advise it just drill a hole n be done

HA HA that's awesome they must of been like yup brakes work brake check homie brake check.

ya it was funny it was one of my buddy's we just cruising hit the brakes he bounced off the dash laughed looked at me. "..........yup they work"

@kissfan03ss this is the back of my booster it'd be a huge PITA to press it off the plate that it comes mounted on. Now you see the lil black notch on the inside of the plate of the plunger from the master cylinder and that why I believe the eBay mount is used cause to keep straight and keep hole small on inside. Cause the eBay plate has a notch in it for this

photo_zps72616970.jpg

Edited by BLNAWAY (see edit history)

• 4 months later...

Took me about 8hrs to do it. But most of that time was trying to get my power steering pump pulley on. I broke my install tool and had to make one. Could easily been done in 4hrs and prob less if you don't swap the power steering pump out.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2