MID12sSSS' Supercharged 370 build

MID12sSSS

Hey guys. Finally got around to rounding up all my pictures from the last 9months so i could post a build thread. Most of the earlier pics were taken with my iphone 3GS and are very pixelated. I apologize in advance for that.

Well, as most of you know, last summer i bought my very first SSS. The Silverado SS had been my dream truck for quite some time, and i finally found one for sale. I went and took a look at it and it was everything i had hoped for. It was in very clean shape with one owner and all documentation. He kept very good care of it and had already put some go fast parts on it. It was a stock LQ9 with a Radix kit, Longtube headers,and a corsa exhaust. I knew this was the truck i had been waiting for, so i sold my current 1997 silverado, drained my savings, and paid cash for the SS.

money_zps4398c5f9.jpg

I was so proud of my new truck. It was fast, clean, loud, and I felt like i was on top of the world cruising with the windows down. I had the truck about 3weeks and had planned to go boating at the lake one afternoon. On the way home i was getting up to speed on an on-ramp, and felt a really odd shudder. I let off the throttle for a second, then reapplied the throttle. Suddenly, there was a loud BOOM! A flame shot out the cowl hood towards the windshield, the instrument cluster was flashing "low oil pressure", it sounded like tennis balls bouncing around under the hood, and there was barreling black smoke behind me. I panicked, shut off the truck, and coasted to the shoulder of the road. I hopped out of the truck, heart pounding, and walked around the truck a couple times. There was oil sprayed all over the road for about 1/4mi back, and oil was dripping from my exhaust tips. I popped the hood and found pieces of pistons, connecting rods, and a chunk of block on the front crossmember.

13_zpsfb536f79.jpg

I took a step back and had to take a few deep breaths. My new truck, was dead. I called the tow truck and had my truck towed to the dealership where i work. Being AWD, had to pay $150 for the flat bed to take my truck 15 miles. The next monday, after borrowing my dads spare truck, a 1992 GMC K1500 with a V6, i drove to work and started researching for what would be my new powertrain. Long story short, after receiving the wrong parts almost every time i ordered something, dealing with shipping times of being in Alaska, running into problems almost every step of the build, like not noticing the bent reluctor wheel during the first assembly, and installing the oil pump spacer backwards causing lack of oil pressure and roasting my cam bearings... 9months later, the build was done! Its so nice to be out of that 1992 K1500 and back into my SS. I am so proud of this motor, and it turned out to be everything i expected. I assembled the entire motor myself and learned a lot during the process. Haha and after having to pull the motor twice, rebuild it twice, and reinstall it, ive become pretty damn good and very familiar with these engines. I know just about every bolt on that entire truck. Well, on to the pictures...

Ready to begin pulling the blown motor.

1_zpsd64eb251.jpg

2_zpsd688d488.jpg

Pulled the oil pan drain plug, and solid coolant came out. Haha.

3_zps8129f59e.jpg

Out comes the Supercharger, and then the motor.

4_zpscaaf342b.jpg

5_zps87da3c89.jpg

6_zps707f237d.jpg

7_zps4369bbed.jpg

The old boring looking motor

8_zpsae434027.jpg

The huge hole in the block

12_zpsafd46f94.jpg

11_zps564abb77.jpg

10_zps12da1bcc.jpg

Finally acquired a good amount of parts and could start assembly

14_zpsab8a8caf.jpg

16_zps2f7b373a.jpg

17_zpscce771bf.jpg

15_zpsf4b3a7d5.jpg

Some more pics of the block and phases of assembly

(short block complete. Waiting on cylinder head hardware)

24_zpscc2e736d.jpg

20_zps87ebeafc.jpg

22_zpsa5458db4.jpg

25_zps20a4d7e1.jpg

Double roller timing set

21_zps22d196b4.jpg

The new Scorpion Roller rockers. Such a shame they have to be covered up.

26_zps7a77157c.jpg

Starting to paint and polish parts to give it that clean look.

27_zpsca961f57.jpg

Painted the supercharger and used the cutouts from my door sill plates for a SS badge

32_zpsc7d5660d.jpg

33_zpsaa6e6f87.jpg

Test fitting everything to see how it looks. Freshly wrapped headers!

37_zps5bb3faeb.jpg

36_zpsea9bf902.jpg

In she goes! Stabbed it within 15minutes. haha gettin pretty good at it.

38_zps5bce0d4e.jpg

All polished up and ready to roll! (well, atleast the outside is. Still gotta detail the interior and the engine compartment is kinda dusty from the buffer)

39_zpsef896757.jpg

40_zpsc7906c48.jpg

50_zpsa1121313.jpg

51_zps56c16273.jpg

52_zpsa4a9a180.jpg

42_zps662cfcad.jpg

425_zps8fc00541.jpg

44_zps91e634f2.jpg

Rims and winter tires. Wanting to change up the combo a bit for summer,

57_zps777c7a94.jpg

Couple accents ive installed

54_zps42fa2aee.jpg

55_zps176acf19.jpg

The SS flood lamps! They look awesome! Im still working on hooking up the LEDs for my door sill plates. Cuz of course they gotta light up blue too!

58_zps002294c2.jpg

Super Fast, Supercharged, Super Sport.

Silverado SS 12 second club. (Haha my own little logo/phrase i came up with. Gotta incorporate it into my sig. when i get one made)

56_zpsca86d1a0.jpg

31_zpsb4fbc6be.jpg

59_zps9f29bc4b.jpg

looks great. nice job. I like it. looks a lot cleaner after you got done. I like how you tired in the blue with everything. I had planned on doing the same with my alternator and a few other pieces. did you tear down the alternator or have a shop do it? I started to tear down my old truck alternator but it look to be a pain. so I might pay a local shop to do it. truck looks clean as well. did you do paint on the SS head rests? I was thinking of going blue but was thinking of buying a spare head rest set and have them restitched but in blue.

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

Wow man what a job is looks great. I really like the way it looks and the rims are different but I like them. Engine looks killer good job Brandon.

Yeah. Never seen these rims on any SS on the site. They are American Racing. Pretty damn light actually. But i was thinking of going with something different. Just havent found the right ones. Not sure if i wanna stay 20s or go 22s.

awesome work brandon bet it feels great to be back in that drivers seat. you gota do a write up on the door sill led that would look BA

Yeah. I was fed up of driving that gutless 1992 V6 for 9months. Haha. Feels so much better to be driving this. Already got 800mi on it. I was playing around with the door sills yesterday and think i got it. It should look pretty badass when its done. Ill try to post pics this weekend.

looks great. nice job. I like it. looks a lot cleaner after you got done. I like how you tired in the blue with everything. I had planned on doing the same with my alternator and a few other pieces. did you tear down the alternator or have a shop do it? I started to tear down my old truck alternator but it look to be a pain. so I might pay a local shop to do it. truck looks clean as well. did you do paint on the SS head rests? I was thinking of going blue but was thinking of buying a spare head rest set and have them restitched but in blue.

I started to take the alternator apart, but ended up just using cut up shop rags and stuffed them in the case over the windings. Then painted the alternator. After it wasd dry, i weeded out all the rag pieces with tweezer/needle nose and it looked pretty clean. I spot painted it with a Q-tip when i was done to fill in any uneven lines. Ill eventually go with 300spx by DC Power Engineering. Its a powder coded High Output alternator and looks killer in blue. Im wanting to get a high temp hose kit for this motor too. That way all my hoses will be blue. Then maybe some more dress up here and there and be done. Yeah, for the headrest, if you just dip a Q-tip or use a small brush and paint the SS stitching, it turns out pretty clean. It sounds cheesy but it looks like factory stitching. You'd never know.

Damn the Maggie looks sick I wish mine was black

Haha thanks man. I had it all apart to clean it anyway, so i figured id paint it. Thought about doing my fuel rails in blue, but i didnt wanna over do it. I used a high temp gloss black, and its holding up very well. Hasnt chipped or cracked and ive been driving the piss out of it.

Thanks for all the positive input guys. Haha its so nice to be done and back in the drivers seat. But its kinda funny, because it still feels like a brand new truck since i only had it like 3weeks and it blew up. Haha. So it seems like i still havent really customized it to my liking yet. Havent put in my touch to make it mine. So really im just getting started. Got a lot of future plans for this truck. I plan on keeping it for a long time.

Advice on these. Order directly from DC Power and do it on the phone. I ordered fro a vendor and got a 05+ alternator. I had to send it back in to have a wire added. It made my cluster act crazy and say "service brake booster" because the harness had 2 words not 3.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2