Tranny swap cost

Hey fellas I was just curious what it would cost to swap an awd tranny and torque converter?

I made a call to a local shop today and they said about 8 hours at $105 an hour so I am looking at just shy of a thousand dollars am I nuts or is he nuts with that estimate?.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like he is nuts. You can remove a motor and re install one for $800.

A trans swap would only take 3 or so hours especially with a lift and a trans jack. Even doing it on your back in your garage you can get it done in under 8 hours.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

Just off of the top of my head, customer pay labor rate for transmission removal and reinstall is usually 5-6 hours for a K truck. A competent tech can usually have it done in 3 hours or so.. but that is how flat rate techs make their money.

Do it yourself Jim! I did mine with the help of one buddy...it really wasnt that hard.

I think I just might do that, its just tryimg to find the time sometimes its easier to pay someone but not that much.

I havent looked closely yet but is the tranny a one piece unit meaning on a 4x4 you have to swap over the transfer case I dont remember if you have to do that or if the tranny is all one unit.

Seems pretty high to me. 400 sounds about right to me.

Luckily a members tranny guy is giving me a hook up so I should be paying in the 4-500 dollar range wjich is reasonable to me.