Crazy accident could have gone terribly bad

MID12sSSS

Well, i left for lunch today to go grab some food. Was driving at about 35, then all of a sudden my rpms went up. I let off the throttle and then gave it a little gas. Nothing. Just revved up like it was in neutral. I coasted to the side of the road and tried all my gears. Nothing. Not even reverse. So i called my buddy from work, told him to grab the wrecker, some tools, and come get me. Being AWD, i had to pull the front driveshaft. Im already in a foot of snow (being on the shoulder of the road), and my truck aint but 4inches off the ground. So i had him lift the front of the truck with the wrecker and i started to pull the front driveshaft. I was just starting to pry the driveshaft out of the diff when i heard a loud BANG! I rolled out from under the truck and heard screaming and crying. I was like WTF happened? A white chevy was cut off by a black taurus in the intersection behind where i broke down and the white chevy swerved to the left, hitting the street sign and the snow bank. Her truck was all screwed up. My buddy said when she bounced off the snow bank after hitting that sign, both her driver side tires were off the ground. He thought she was gonna roll. I looked around and there was plastic everywhere and a tail light was laying just a few feet from my drivers door. I was thinking thank god she didnt swerve right instead of left. Because she would have hit my truck at about 55mph and i was underneath it... i would have been done.

We already had road flares up and everything since i was on the side of the road. I asked if she was ok and she said yeah. She called the cops and we slowly took my SS back to work, which luckily was only about 2miles away.. Well, ive had enough excitement for one day, and now i need a trans. It never gave me any warnings. No slipping or anything. Just like someone flipped a switch and i lost everything. What could it be? What are my best options? Best bang for my buck? Ill open a repair order here at work, that way i can get everything i need, get my truck back on the road and then start paying off parts. I saw that FLT Level 5s are pretty popular. And that theyre base price is just over 2k. And that 4l80s are popular too. Is it an expensive swap? I dont want my truck to be down for months. Any other great transmissions i could consider? Or should i just have mine rebuilt/beefed up? I dont wanna have too much down time, as i want this truck back on the road asap. Ideas? Thanks.

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

I think FLT is the best but I'm waiting for mine now there 4 weeks behind FYI it's worth the wait your choice I would wait if I was you I ordered a level 5 but that works for me I'm building a N/A that might see 600 horse but that's still a distant finish I'm at about a tad over 400 now. Ps glad your still around to tell the tail don't need to lose anymore loyal members

Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)

Man I would go Flt. When mine takes a crap ill prob do one. I wouldn't do performabuilt. Heard about lots of probs with them. With the power your making you might wanna do a 80e. Glad you didn't get smushed bro.

Man I would go Flt. When mine takes a crap ill prob do one. I wouldn't do performabuilt. Heard about lots of probs with them. With the power your making you might wanna do a 80e. Glad you didn't get smushed bro.

i heard the same thing FLT has a good track record and I would love to see you find someone that has something bad to say about them I couldn't everyone loves there trannys

If you were going to keep it a 4l60 or 4l65 i would go FLT. Im running a 80 and love it. but tons of guys have good luck with Built 60 or 65s but I never did. after 2 went out within 4k miles together i had to try something different. I went with a Circle D converter couldn't be happier. But there is also a ton of other TC out there that are nice.

Glad nothing happened to you or the truck with a wreck happing that close to you.

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

Yeah. Theres a guy here in town that built AKSSS's trans and its still running strong after two years behind his turbo'd 370. He had it all beefed up. I was looking at the FLT level 5 build sheet. Looks like a beast! Ill probably have Turbo Tom (the builder in town) build me a hell of a trans if i end up needing one. I pulled the dipstick and the fluid was super high on the stick, as it should be. Then i started the truck and dipped it again. The fluid level didnt change, and it should have dropped to the cold hash marks. This tells me either the pump just went bad, or the filter might have just dropped into the pan. Haha that'd be nice. But im not getting my hopes up. If its an easy fix, ill get a trans built on the side so when mine does go, itll only be down an afternoon.

I think FLT is the best but I'm waiting for mine now there 4 weeks behind FYI it's worth the wait your choice I would wait if I was you I ordered a level 5 but that works for me I'm building a N/A that might see 600 horse but that's still a distant finish I'm at about a tad over 400 now. Ps glad your still around to tell the tail don't need to lose anymore loyal members

Take some pics of the install. Should be sweet! Do they come with a custom FLT shift kit, or do you put in your own?

Yeah. Theres a guy here in town that built AKSSS's trans and its still running strong after two years behind his turbo'd 370. He had it all beefed up. I was looking at the FLT level 5 build sheet. Looks like a beast! Ill probably have Turbo Tom (the builder in town) build me a hell of a trans if i end up needing one. I pulled the dipstick and the fluid was super high on the stick, as it should be. Then i started the truck and dipped it again. The fluid level didnt change, and it should have dropped to the cold hash marks. This tells me either the pump just went bad, or the filter might have just dropped into the pan. Haha that'd be nice. But im not getting my hopes up. If its an easy fix, ill get a trans built on the side so when mine does go, itll only be down an afternoon.

Take some pics of the install. Should be sweet! Do they come with a custom FLT shift kit, or do you put in your own?

it comes with one ready to install and fill with fluid