Weird Idle drop when stopped in Gear

detjoe

So I have been working on my tuning more :) haha

I changed up my trans settings to Zippy's and the truck feels some much better and less banging shifts...

So I am now chasing down a new issue, well its been there a while, I just now am looking to get it right b/c of how big a differance the trans settings had in the driveability of the truck.

So when I am at a stop light, the idle will drop 50 RPM. Raise back. About 10 seconds will drop again.

it is totally repetative and comes as expected after about 10 seconds.

Would this stumble be in the idle section of the tune? or should I check some other areas?? It is like a timer or counter is going and pulls some RPM's at the same interval. I need to check if it happens in PArk too.

Thanks for looking :)

My truck did this before my L92 top end and can swap. But only 50rpm like you said. That was with a Wheatley tune and a few bolt ons. Now it's 100x worse with the L92 top end, TB and cam, I can't wait for HPTuners to arrive. There have been others with idling issues as well especially after cam swaps, so were not alone on this one. Hopefully zippy or Wheatley will jump in on this thread and do some explaining.

Stupid question. Your defroster isn't on is it? If your compressor is low on freeon(spell) it will keep cycling the compressor. I know you probably checked this. But make sure your hvac is off when checking this.

Its a LS3/Truck TB and a gen 2 x link. I did not cut any wires. I have an issue where I cannot goto WOT=100TPS, so I have changed a few settings so it does see WOT @ 98%TPS. I felt like I could have broke my leg trying to stomp the pedal to 100% :)

I have not checked my AC...for the most part I force it to stay off. I will try to cycle it on/off and see if it does anything, but I am pretty sure it is not related.

My thinking is that timing is the quickest changes to take effect. If I command very different timing at cells that are close in maybe a temp setting then as the truck temp raises as I sit at the light, the timing bounces back. Would less timing=lower RPM...and then if the RPM dropes the other modifyers come into play?????

Call Zippy and talk to him about it. I believe he is finding that the gen 2 x-link with the automatic TB selector switch does not work so well with the LS3 style throttle bodies. I believe he recommends swapping to the LS2 style throttle body.

19' for most idle areas, 1200 rpm it is higher, 21 and 22. 1600RPM is @ 34' at low air mass and decreases till.44 g/cyl where its 25'

in the HO table, the values are 24-25'

so the higher values are on the High Octane table, should I decrease those to look like my idle timing in gear table?

I will post up my tune when I get to my lap top.

having issues with how big the tune/log file size

Edited by detjoe (see edit history)

I raised them up...think they are 20 now in my idle cells.

I was logging and saw 4' of knock when it went into PE @ 4k rpm??? is that normal?? Want to log it again and double check, I think its real, b/c it was when I rolled into WOT, not from a dig when I get some header hitting the frame false knock...and it would get me a lot better run if I did not lose timing right in the middle of the rpm range

I was playing with my timing at idle and saw 50 kpa at 20'...moving the timing did not change the reading much, it might have dipped down to 48.

Edited by detjoe (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

Late but maybe its because you need a wideband tune it adjust air fuel ratios keeping your truck from turning off at dead stop mine does the same thing im about to get the wideband tune its where you or the tuner takes out the passenger side o2 sensor and plugs in some sensor of theirs then reads whether yours truck is running rich lean air ratios fuel ratios stuff like that