Flex Plate Upgrade Options

If you rear wheel dyno test unlocked then I would guess you may see a hp increase. But when you lock the converter, as long as the stock clutch holds, I would call them liars you see any gain because it's one to one at that point the converter is not effecting hp output. And at that point a transmission part can not increase motor hp, only the percent it transfers. I think they are stretching the truth. Unless I'm wrong....been wrong before...be wrong again But yeah, check out the tcs plate for a budget or the mazeire for top of the line Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha thats crazy! Yeah i went back and read the thread talking about flexplate weights etc. Thats insane you ripped the center right out. That was my fear of running the stock FP. So i went with the TCI. $300shipped, give or take . It outta hold up to whatever i throw at it though..

I'm still rocking the stocker.

Yeah. Its cheap insurance to go ahead and upgrade the plate while the trans is out. I see it as a weak point and dont wanna have to pull the trans or risk damaging my $1100 converter when my flex plate comes apart. Do it once, do it right.

Only way I would do a after market flexplate is if it was lighter and was going to be giving me a gain. I don't see the stock flex plate letting go b4 the trans converter or rear end first.

There isn't one that is lighter. I checked before buying the hughes. And the hughes is slightly thicker and look what I was able to do with a lot less tq then you put out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

There isn't one that is lighter. I checked before buying the hughes. And the hughes is slightly thicker and look what I was able to do with a lot less tq then you put out.

Exactly. He was running less torque than you and shredded his FP. I'm not saying you need one, Idaho, but its cheap insurance if you already have the trans out. A fully built trans and new converter, I'm just a flex plate away from being "built" and running future power adders without any issues. I see the flex plate as a weak point, because I've seen so many people spin the middle right out of them. You may not break yours and be totally fine. But then again, you may not. Haha you're building a HELL of a monster motor right now, but not caring about any supporting mods. Built trans? Nope. Forged internals? Nope. Seems to me, you might be able to run that 9second quarter mile once before that truck tears itself apart. But I don't think your building it to have a reliable 9second daily driver. You probably just wanna boost the piss out of it and see what happens. Haha. I won't be pushing as much power as you, but im building everything up for reliability purposes. My original reason for building my truck was a reliable street/strip 600hp daily driver. Not quite there yet, but will be eventually. I don't wanna be scared to put my foot to the floor. I don't want there to be any doubt in my mind that the truck will hold up to the abuse of WOT runs. Anyway. Lecture over. Class dismissed.

Search my name and flexplates on here and you should get info about when I changed. I ran a hughes for awhile because it was the lightest aftermarket one, and after i tore the center out of it I bought a tcs and have not looked back. Very nice flexplate. If memory serves krambo ran the same on his monster

I think I read in your post the drivetrain loss will be 6%....no

I think I also read a converter will increase hp?....no

Yes, I ran the same FP as Brad. Heavy duty, high quality piece but does have some weight to it.

BTW, if you want mine, I have it in the garage with 3 ARP converter bolts. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, clean. Send PM if you are interested.