new brake setup

f1ss

So after a lot of thought I have been considering so many different brands of brakes (rotors, pads, calipers, lines, fluid) I was wondering what you guys think of the setup. My truck is stock so I do not need a serious setup like Baer, Wilwood or Z06 conversion. I was okay with stock but agree they need an upgrade in some way. I had someone pull a u-tun on me going 55mph and almost t-boned him, lucky for him this truck has awd. So this is what I thought up for new brakes, best bang for the buck. Go ahead and roast me, I need the feedback on if theirs a better setup for the same price as stock. I store my truck during winter and do not drive it in the rain so consider those factors please. At most I will be adding a cai, tune and cat back this year (Corsa or something else...)

Front

06 12.99inch AC Delco rotors

Hawk pads (ceramics right?)

New 06 calipers

Rear

stock AC Delco rotors

hawk pads (ceramics?)

new calipers if needed

Will be doing a flush and adding Motul brake fluid. I remember Mr P saying it was good. Im just wondering if this will help me at all? S/S lines will replace the current ones. Any brands recomended? I remember Russell lines IIRC....

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

Sounds like a good setup, I did the same upgrade but left the hoses stock. Everything works great and the pedal is a lot tighter than previously. I used to have a very spongy pedal. Also don't forget about the caliper brackets as well. All the parts I used where Reybestos because that is what my parts store could get me.

The brand name brake fluid you go with isnt going to do anything different than a DOT 4 besides boiling point. The dot 4 is 311 and the dot 5 is 356. If your not road racing your truck the Dot 4 will be fine. I just dont see the need to spend the extra money.

You'll notice a decent difference in the braided lines alone. Sounds like a great set up for the price. Warning, the Hawk Pads throw some major dust and is a pita to get the wheels clean. I had em and went back to autozones better ceramic pads and they seem better at dust. Hope this helps!

^My timeline is all over the place, he knows he will be contacted, both our schedules are not easy (I am restricted due to closing on a house and needing surgery on my back after 12 weeks bedrest, I am only on week 7). I have a couple of people ready to jump and work on this truck as I had to cancel my previous timeline. I plan on doing a complete service, not just a brakes. I was thinking NAPA but was more than happy with AC Delco. I guess my new name is "flake" :thumbs:

Thank you fast4popper, for the first replacement of brakes I think the s/s lines will be a nice difference, and I will look into the pads

Matt- thank you for the Reysbestos will keep that brand in mind

Blown346- thank you for the DOT brake fluid info, I do not know much about that but every bit counts

what was said above- fluid is only going to make a change in feel if your swapping old watery/bad fluid for fresh fluid... other than that its just boiling point. you can use whatever you want as long as its not silicone based...

for calipers, you can either buy a used set (plenty around from people who do BBK's) or you can get a set from a GM dealer, NAPA, etc reman calipers. you do need brackets like said. for pad material- ceramic is less dust, less noise but also less "bite". semi metallic will "bite" much harder but can make some slight noise when cold and will make more dust. the best pad IMO and what we use on almost every car we do is Hawk HPS, which is the semi metallic Hawks. they are quiet, dont have any more dust than stock pads, and will bite much harder than ceramic or stock. those are what id use. if not, Powerstop makes ceramic and semi metallic performance pads that are really affordable, you can get them online or at some parts stores. for rotors- if you have the funds for it, i would definately get a +1 replacement rotor from SSBC, Powerslot, Baer, etc.... the benefit is a larger rotor which will disapate heat better, look better, have less brake fade- also they come WITH a bracket. so you wont need to buy a caliper bracket if you buy new/reman calipers... so up front you have a 14" drilled and/or slotted rotor, ceramic/semi metallic HP pads, 06 calipers. combine this with SS brake lines and you will be much happier with the trucks brakes. the pedal feel will be much better, fade will be almost non exsistant as well. for the rear, all youll need is matching pads and replacement rotors to match the front. you can also go +1 rotors in the back, but the rear brakes only do maybe 15-20% of your braking so its not going to do much in braking abilities. a replacement drilled and/or slotted stock size rotor will do fine.

^thank you very much JKP. I was looking into the Baer Deccella rotors (only found rear rotor sets, still looking for fronts), will go check on the SSBc and Powerslot. :chevy:

i have the Baer rotors. And they told me that they quit selling them for the fronts of our pickups. You have to get the setup for a SUV and just change the calipers and brackets. They bolted right on.

-edit the rotors came with the brackets. I just bought calipers at napa.

Bought my rotors and brackets from blownfogger540. Check and see what he has available before you go buy anything.

Edited by Aksss (see edit history)