Driving long distance

tanker

Well I am on orders for Fort Lewis WA. I will be driving from Fort Benning, GA is there anything specific that you would recommend replacing or servicingbefore this 2,400 mile drive. I already have done transfer case fluid, and front diff fluid. I have 85k on the truck right now, guessing I should do coolant, rear diff fluid, belt, and transmission service. Is there anything else I should look into prior to this long haul. Also I might be pulling a car hauler with my cherokee on it on this journey if I can not sell it before I leave. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Do the services after the trip as proper break in to the syn fluids is vital IMO. "Do not drive the truck fast, do not drive it hard" for a week or two are the exact words after I had a complete liquids and filter swap at 51k. Luckily I had back roads I could go 25-35mph rather than taking the highway at 50-65mph. This is just my opinion from previous services. Hopefully someone else can chime in and be more thorough.

Things I would do before the trip would be fuel filter, new air intake filter, and add a bottle of Lucas fuel treatment.

Like others said just make sure your fluids are topped off or changed. I drove my SS from California to Alaska 3,000 miles without a single problem when I bought it. I just made sure the fluids where all good and topped off and checked the oil sometimes while I was filling up. Good luck on the trip.

Thank you all for the responces. Well then it makes me feel more confident about driving it, I did forget to mention that I did the fuel filter about 2k ago. I just wanted to touch base with some experienced SSS owners to get some input. Thanks again.

You may have already got your answer, and im not sure if you're set on doing this yourself or not, but you could always have a trip inspection done at your local dealership. Just check

fluids,

filters,

windshield wipers,

brakes,

tires; wear and tire pressure (check tread and see if they are due for a rotation),

belts,

check for leaks,

shocks and other suspension items,

Id also bring a spare belt along. 2,400mi is a long drive, but nothing your truck cant handle. Just keep an eye on things as you're driving along. You'll be fine.

If it was me I would at least ask Amtrac what it would cost to put it on the train. (Last I heard they transport vehicles).

Or something like this outfit,

http://superstartransportation.com/car-shipping/

I love driving my truck but hate putting miles and wear on it.

My guess is that your looking at around $650.00 in gas + the wear and tear.

I did 2200 miles from Florida to California in my truck twice. California to Utah and back(~1500 miles) twice. Fluids, lights, tires, belts, wipers, brakes. Doesn't hurt to have spare fuses, bets, quart of oil, quart of ATF, and light bulbs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I did 2200 miles from Florida to California in my truck twice. California to Utah and back(~1500 miles) twice. Fluids, lights, tires, belts, wipers, brakes. Doesn't hurt to have spare fuses, bets, quart of oil, quart of ATF, and light bulbs.

wow what the heck for? Lol I've always wanted to road trip but can't in today's lifestyle pace. Wow that's a haul! At least you did it in a comfortable truck! ;-) haha

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2 wow what the heck for? Lol I've always wanted to road trip but can't in today's lifestyle pace. Wow that's a haul! At least you did it in a comfortable truck! ;-) haha

I moved to Florida, moved back 3 years later. I have an apartment in Utah and my roommate from Florida is my roommate there. I also have family in Utah.

If it was me I would at least ask Amtrac what it would cost to put it on the train. (Last I heard they transport vehicles).

Or something like this outfit,

http://superstartransportation.com/car-shipping/

I love driving my truck but hate putting miles and wear on it.

My guess is that your looking at around $650.00 in gas + the wear and tear.

Thetrain woudn't be a bad idea but I do plan on visiting family in AZ for a week then head to Washington. I guess if it wasn't for that itwould be well worth it. I guess since I will be in AZ for awhie I can do a good service on everything before going north,

I do have a quart of trans fluid ready to go. Thanks for the heads up on spare belt and fuses though, I do plan on doing a belt change before I leave but a spare will be extra assurance and comfort factor. i just don't want to be in a situation that I have to leave my truck on the side of the interstate. Thats a good list of items you posted and I will at a minimum have those items and tools to change any one of them on hand. Thanks again