odd trans question - trans tech in here/zippy

As most of you know last year I sold my modded SSS with a built tranny that I built. Its having a slight issue as of lately the new owner claims that kinda has me stumped and wanted to run this by the guys that have been through and familier with trannys

When I first built the unit I was having issue keeping forward sprags. I went through two then I decided to try the 2-3 shift valve mod from Sonnax to apply the overruns in all manual gears to help support the sprag. This has seemed to work very well as I know the new owner hasnt been easy on it so far. He now has an issue when its in D (overdrive) and goes to shift into 2nd it is like it goes into nuetral and will stay there untill you actually put it in nuetral or manual 3rd then back to D it will then engage low gear but go back to "nuetral" again when going into 2nd. It does this everytime in D but it does apply 2nd in all manual gears like normal. The guy that bought it from me has a performance shop doing the work so thats who iv been working with. First I had him drop the pan just to check the fluid and he said the fluid is clear as a bell. Also had him check for any DTC's and none found.

This has me kinda puzzled. I am going to have him pull the valve body and start at the shift valves as like he said when you move it to nuetral or 3rd out of D, then back in D it engages low gear as far as you are moving the shift valves around. Also going to check the bores. It cant be a shift solenoid and/or electrical as there are no DTCs. Another thing I thought of but highly unlikely is an o-ring leaking at the pressure manifold. But again I doubt it. I have seen check balls waller out the spacer plate but that has been in stock units mainly. I upgraded the spacer plate for this.

Look forward to some responses and discussion

Also below is a list of the parts I built it with for reference

Corvette intermediate servo
Sonnax billet overdrive servo
Double cage 29 element forward sprag
Low/Reverse spring roller
Alto red low/reverse clutches and Koleen steels
Alto carbon oversized 2/4 power band w/ reinforced anchor
New input drum/housing
Borg Warner High Energy "Green" 3/4 clutches and Koleen steels
Rebestos "Blue" overrun clutches and Koleen steels
Beast reaction shell
New reaction sun gear
GM rear 5 planetary gear set
Rear carrier ring gear
Thrust bearing kit
New upgraded babbot pump bushing
New case bushing
New extra wide sun gear bushing
Sonnax oversized boost valve

Sonnax 2/3 shift valve mod
Billet forward accumulator
Billet 1-2 accumulator
EPC Solenoid
Superier valve body shift correction kit
4L65-E overhaul kit(gaskets,seals, ect)
Updated valve body seperator plate
Billet 300m output shaft
Billet 300m input shaft
Billet input drum sleeve & piston
RPM high-rev spring kit
Modified case

I wish i knew more and could be of more help Brian. Good luck with the issue. Pretty cool of you to help him out. Most people would say tough luck, its yours now! But since you built it, im sure its more personal.

Edited by shadowsniper3006
quote deleted (see edit history)

Yes from what he tells me it will do it everytime. Like I said, im going to have him pull the valve body and check the 1-2 shift valve and bore first. I might even have him try a test VB and see what it does.

deleted off topic info (see edit history)

If I had this unit in my garage it would make things a whole lot easier rather than guide someone clear across the country. But that is not the case. He is pulling down the VB this afternoon and I have some things for him to look for. This is an odd one but we'll get it fixed.

deleted quote and responce (see edit history)

Yeah Brian. Be sure to let us know what you figure out. Sorry all your threads turn into a brawl. I hope you find the information you're looking for. Zippy isnt on much, but i know he'll see this thread when he does pop on. Send him a PM too or maybe give him a call if you're really stumped. Sucks diagnosing peoples issues over the phone. Haha. Being a tech, i know exactly what that is like. My friend calls and says "my truck is making this noise. What could it be?!" Haha i dont frickin know! I gotta look at it first!

removed quote (see edit history)

I made this thread for some technical discussion that this site is lacking

This is one of the reasons I joined the site in the first place... wish there was more of it. Please keep this going ..I would like to see where it goes

I WILL be cleaning this thread up and any post not on topic from this point on. This is not the doing of one person, BOTH guys need to back off.

If your post got deleted, it may have been it just wasn't on topic, not that there was a site rule broken. If you feel your post should not have been deleted, please contact me through a PM.

If anyone has a problem with a member, please contact myself or any mods/admin through a PM and i/we will take it to all the mods for a group decision. However, as of right now, i only see two guys who can't just not reply to anothers posts, and nothing wrong outside of that. Of coarse, any issues/names will stay within the mod group and will never be made public.

The issue is going to be in the 2-3 shift Valve mod. Maybe a leak? Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

You know I want to agree but I havnt seen how it could through the schematics I have and how it changes? Maybe im missing something there. Im having him setup a used VB and we are going to try it

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

The issue is going to be in the 2-3 shift Valve mod. Maybe a leak?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

what does this mod do or its purpose ....or is it something that gets done when you install a shift kit and servos or is it a xtra step....sorry if this is dumb question

It is not a dumb question but a good one. Basically you are redirecting oil to be sent to the overrun clutches to help support the forward sprag in manual 3rd. I wouldnt suggest this for a stock internal trans as it could potentially cause to much shock on other internal hard parts.

Other setbacks are harsh downshifts when say coming to a stop light and increased engine breaking. Again this is only in manual 3rd

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)