Considering a SS

xrayman

Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie here, I found a 04 Arrival Blue SS with 60k on the clock that I like. The dealer is asking 19k for it too much INHO. I am on the fence because its almost 10yrs old and I would need it to be my year round daily and I do live in the Chicago land area so it do winter duty. My commute to work is approx. 17 miles round trip. Premium is selling in my area for $4.25-$4.50 in my area. I would also need a loan, the dealer claims they can get me a loan details to come. how much are you all spending on maintenance costs, what things should I look for when I go back to the dealer, I know LS engines are very reliable, the tranny's are a different story that I am prepared for, but if the differentials fail how much am I looking at and truly are these trucks worth it or should I look at something newer?

Thanks.

Edited by xrayman (see edit history)

Welcome to the site Vidal. :cheers:

Dealership probably expects an argument on the price and you should give him one. :jester:

Front diff can be a problem. A fair percentage of them wind up needing re-building. Average cost seems to average around a thousand bucks.

The trans can give problems if you start boosting horsepower and running the truck hard. There are trans mods which can help lengthen it's life expectancy.

Transfer case can cause problems but that's not so common as the front diff and trans.

Other than that the trucks are very dependable and there is a lot of advice and help available here.

Read the fine print, (2 or 3 times), on that dealer loan deal.

Good luck.

Of course its priced way to high. Its the stealership!!! Your best option is to go get a loan from a bank, they'll approve you for so much and give you a blank check. Then go back to the dealership and wheel and deal with them and tell them you got $16,000 right now and buy it. Dont get financed threw the dealership. You'll pay full price.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Part of the problem is that most banks including my own, will only lend on a 06 or newer. I am calling my CU tomorrow to ask how old they will lend on. The dealer claims they have a lender that will loan on a 04 but I know it will probably be short term and high interest. So we will see.

Welcome to the site Vidal. :cheers:

Dealership probably expects an argument on the price and you should give him one. :jester:

Front diff can be a problem. A fair percentage of them wind up needing re-building. Average cost seems to average around a thousand bucks.

The trans can give problems if you start boosting horsepower and running the truck hard. There are trans mods which can help lengthen it's life expectancy.

Transfer case can cause problems but that's not so common as the front diff and trans.

Other than that the trucks are very dependable and there is a lot of advice and help available here.

Read the fine print, (2 or 3 times), on that dealer loan deal.

Good luck.

well said here

IMHO if you want a daily driver find a AWD car for your winters... Don't beat around the bush for a SSS if you don't plan on spending money on gas and maintenance as well as taking care of it. These trucks are harder and harder to find these days and soon will be impossible to buy as more and more of them are hitting high miles and uncaring owners... (not saying your uncaring but a SSS IMO should be babied, modded, and garage kept with a fresh coat of wax to show off her beauty and watch all the rubber neckers out there drop jaw in awe as you roll buy... 19k Honestly is not that bad for a Blue AWD SSS with 60k ( I believe they KBB more)... They don't make them anymore and thats low miles for a limited production 10yr old truck....

Try n talk them down a little. And like stated above these aren't cheap. Gas ins an maint is costly. I wouldn't have any other truck. This has been my DD since 05.

I paid 16K for my 03 with 96K miles from a stealership last week. They wouldn't go lower because they had to do a little work to it to pass their safety inspections (new front brakes, ball joints, etc) I know a paid a premium, but my only other option was to go out of state to buy one, which would have required taking time off from work, air travel, and a lot of gas. Plus you take the risk of the truck not looking as good as it did in the pics.

The only issue I had with financing through my CU was they would only go to 100% of the NADA price at first, which was only14K. I was able to get them up to 105%, but I still had to chip in almost $2K out of my pocket to cover the difference plus taxes and fees. They didn't have an age cap, but they did have a mileage cap.

I also checked with the dealer about financing, but their interest rate was double what my CU gave me.