Is this heater hose splice factory? 2003 SS

xr4tic

Can anyone tell me if this is factory or if there used to be something else here? It's a 2003 SS

post-24682-0-89238000-1369075637_thumb.jpg

This connector broke, luckily just as I was pulling into my street. I noticed the temp gauge almost to the red zone, 5 seconds later, I get the warning, another 5 seconds later, steam from under the hood, followed by massive amounts of coolant dumping onto my exhaust manifold.

I haven't even had this truck a week yet.

I also noticed the coolant was green, Isn't the factory coolant orange? Should I flush and switch it?

Edited by xr4tic (see edit history)

First off the factory does not use clamps like that and second you can tell the hose to the left has been replaced in other words someone cut the factory hose and spliced in a new section if hose to replace the damaged one that is why your hose and clamps are different.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

That's what I thought, thanks.

I suspect whatever they used to splice it might not have been rated to handle the heat and it got brittle, or they didn't leave enough slack in it and engine movement cracked it.

So this line goes all the way to the heater core? I just want to make sure before I order a new hose, looks like it's some special T-hose, which means it will probably be pricy.

Old owner prob used stopleak before. Plugged up his heater so he cut the hose to clean the heater? Garden hose try to force it to get it to flow? I'm just speculating. Is that even possible lol

I found a few forums that say the plastic quick connects to the heater core have a tendancy to break, so maybe one broke and the PO couldn't remove the broken nipple from the old hose without damaging the hose.

For now, I found another splice from an auto parts store, same exact plastic one, as a temp fix. I'm still trying to track down the part number for a new hose.

I found a few forums that say the plastic quick connects to the heater core have a tendancy to break, so maybe one broke and the PO couldn't remove the broken nipple from the old hose without damaging the hose.

For now, I found another splice from an auto parts store, same exact plastic one, as a temp fix. I'm still trying to track down the part number for a new hose.

Is that the heater hose that "T's" into the same hose from the coolant overflow tank (forward of the right cylinder head)??