What oil is everyone using?

Black Beast

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am switching to rotella 15-40 because of the added abuse of the supercharger. I compared the Duramax bearing clearances and the LQ9 and they were very close! GM uses 15-40 in the duramax due to the extreme heat and power that the turbo puts on the motor.

You also have to consider the oil pump too. I had a friend throw a rod out of the block due to heavy weight oil "because of the added heat and abuse from the turbo" and the oil pump couldn't keep up. I use 10w30 mobil 1 in my 5.3 because you can hear the piston slap on cold mornings with 5w30... Also I live in Texas and it doesn't often get below freezing here.

I have run it in my SSS since the first oil change. Still runs great oil pressure. In the words of my late friend and 30+ year machinist and engine builder-"If a diesel can't F**k it up, neither can you." I USUALLY wait til the gauge shows oil pressure before I start beating the piss out of it.

• 2 weeks later...