Camping in Alaska with the SS

Hes got a shop. "turbo tom's" since 1988. Hes probably the best there is in town. He goes to seminars to stay up to date, has a great reputation.. He built Justins (AKSSS) and he's pushing quite a bit more power through his turbo 370. No problems yet with his in the 2years or so since its been built. Something let loose somewhere in mine. Just gotta pull it and find out what. I just hope after this, i can get a good amount of miles and maybe a few runs at the strip before something else breaks. Haha i think its spent more time on my lift than on the road in the 2years ive owned it. Its depressing. Besides the differentials, the ENTIRE powertrain is brand new with less than 1500mi. Haha. So after this little hicup, like i said, hopefully ill have some smooth sailing for awhile.

And once i get some new rims/rubber, ill clean her up and have my girl take some more pics.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too man. I have a lot more plans for it in the near future. Should clean up nicely. Haha my goal was a 12second daily driver when i built it, and hopefully i will achieve that this summer, but since this thing is becoming more of a toy, im kinda wishing i went bigger. I plan on keeping it for a long time, so maybe one day she'll see a 427. :thumbs: but then again.... I have troubles just keeping this damn set up running. Haha ill be in a real mess when i start adding more cubes. :jester: But im still new to the whole mod scene. This is the first motor ive ever built and i have yet to build my own trans. I have a lot to learn yet, but im getting better. Haha and it doesnt help any that all my training is for fords. :rollin:

Ill be there when Tom opens up the trans so ill keep you all up to date on what went wrong. I should have my truck back as soon as i get back from anchorage. Sorry A-town guys. The SS will be down there soon enough.

Yeah. Im anxious. Never heard of anything causing total failure except a pump or dropped filter, or a broken shaft. But i know im not dealing with any of these things.. And i was hardly even putting a load on it! Like someone flipped a switch and it kicked me into neutral...

Hes got a shop. "turbo tom's" since 1988. Hes probably the best there is in town. He goes to seminars to stay up to date, has a great reputation.. He built Justins (AKSSS) and he's pushing quite a bit more power through his turbo 370. No problems yet with his in the 2years or so since its been built. Something let loose somewhere in mine.

I just wanna say, that I haven't had any problems. Lol. I can't keep clutches in the tranny for that one or two summers, depending on how often I go to the track. And I have been breaking hard parts. I have broken the input drum an the snap ring off the end of the input drum shaft( or is that the input shaft itself?).

Edit- I do want to say he has been great to deal with and he does excellent work. But I feel you can only do so muh with a 4l65.

Edited by Aksss (see edit history)

Yeah. Im sure its something simple. I know when the 65E is built right, they can handle quite a bit of punishment, at least in my power range. I wouldnt go throwing 1000HP at one though. I know John has built a 65 recently using fewer hard parts than i did, and a maggied SSS has made dozens of 1/4mi pulls with and without nitrous. So hopefully after all this, ill have just as much luck.

Haha a few more pics from the camping trip... :rollin:

flatbed1_zps5e8cefed.jpg

flatbed2_zpse63aedcf.jpg

flatbed4_zps14307fa1.jpg

flatbed3_zpse96576f7.jpg

One thing about having to go through 3 transmissions and an engine in 2years, is that you get damn good at R&I. Had my truck towed in at 6:00pm, was putting tools away by 7:32pm.

15hrtranspull_zps7d6247fe.jpg

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

I checked fluid pressure before i pulled it. The gauge read 130psi at idle.. So the pump works! Curious what the hell went out. Ill find out tomorrow when i bring it out to Tom.

Well, i snapped an input shaft... I noticed when i took the trans out and started playing with the torque converter, something didnt feel right. Itd spin, but not as easily as it should and itd try walking itself out every 3/4 turn and then clunk back in. I gave the converter a few pulls and it finally came off. Sure as shit, input shaft was snapped. It snapped at an angle so as i spun the torque converter, itd lift out then clunk back in, lift out and clunk back in etc... So i called PATC and had them pull up my old invoice. They said "let me guess... your input shaft broke...". I laughed and said "how'd ya know?" It didnt even last 250mi of easy highway driving. When i had you guys put this build together for me, you said this hardened shaft was the bees knees and itd hold up. They said "No way would we recommend anything less than a billet input shaft with your build. Anything less than billet will snap every time. All our level 2,3, and 4s, they get billet shafts. You purchased a hardened shaft from level 1, but the rest of your trans was level 4. The shaft you installed is only rated at 515ft lbs tq and was the weakest link..." Haha i said "Gee! Thanks!" They apologized for the miscommunication and took care of me. Refunded my money for the hardened shaft, and sold me a billet one at cost. But they couldnt pay me for my R&I or my tow bill! Haha :jester: They explained to me that even though it was "highway driving", the conditions were extremely violent and the input shaft took the brunt of it. At the track, taking off from a dead stop, the torque converter ill absorb most of the shock and the rest of the trans wont see so much abuse. But being that i was already at cruising speeds of 50+, the torque converter was already at full lock up. So when i pushed the throttle to 65% or so to pass that motorhome, it spooled up the motor and dumped it into 2nd gear and that shaft felt 100% of engine torque all at once, ripping it in two... SO.. I have a billet shaft on the way, and NOW i should be sitting pretty. Haha if theres another weak link somewhere, ill find it soon enough. But on paper, everything looks good. Ill take some pics once its apart. Ill have the trans back in when i get back from anchorage on the 8th.

:peelout:

man i hope you have luck with next round. if any one needs a bout of good luck its you my friend. i get a little depressed for you every time i open one of your threads. lol

as long as it was all put together right and the shift kit isnt set up too violently, it should last you a good while... if your right about tom, you shouldnt have any issues now :thumbs: IMO for you and what you want to do with the truck, id use the 1-2 years that trans will hold fine until you burn up the clutches to save for a 4L80e swap :D next time my 70e goes im just throwing a 85e into it, im gunna have it sitting here ready to go in. just waiting to pick a used one up really cheap and then just accumulate parts and build it. since you want to DD and race it, and go even higher in HP it might not be a bad idea for the future lol

Haha sorry guys... I promise ill post a positive thread someday. When my truck quits taking a shit. lol. But it could be worse.

I feel your pain. I haven't drove mine consistently for about a year. Was saving up for my FLT. Should be done within the next week or so. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Edited by 907BlownSS (see edit history)