GM Active Fuel Management

Fireman31

About 2 weeks ago, I traded in my daily driver '03 Tahoe due to some forthcoming expensive repairs, and picked up a clean GM Certified '09 Tahoe 1LT with 40k on the clock. This truck along with most newer Tahoes has a 5.3L flex fuel LMG with Active Fuel Management(4 cylinder mode during light throttle highway cruising). After some research about AFM on the web, it seems that some people have had issues with Lifters failing due to the AFM system between 40-80k. Does anybody have any insight on this? Thoughts? After reading some of the horror stories out there, I am considering disabling the AFM on this truck. The previous owner changed the oil religiously every 3k. Am I over reacting?

I saw this device on the web in lieu of getting a custom tune, I want to keep the truck 100% STOCK........

http://www.rangetechnology.com/pages/v8

IMAG0984.jpg

Why not just have it done in the tune and while your in there you can tweak it a little and you could prob still keep around 20mpg on the highway. If it were me that's what I would do.

The truck still has the balance of the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty, which I plan on extending. I am definitely not opening up the motor, and the tune will stay stock as GM is getting wise about recalibrated ECM's. I saw a recent TSB on the subject, and I don't want any potential future headaches with warranty work......

I actually love mine. I got 18.9 going to Kansas City and back a few weeks ago

As far as problems, I cant answer that lol I plan to trade mine off before the warranty expires

As far as tune, yes they will see if the ECM has been recalibrated other than someone that is GM certified or not at a dealership.

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

if you plan on keeping factory warranty active and extending it, i wouldt do anything to it. if you did drop a lifter one day warranty should handle everything.

:withstupid: i wouldnt worry man. if your gonna be under warranty just go enjoy that animal! if you want go see what tahoeyukonforum.com has to say. i found a bunch of useful info on there when i had my 03. they have a NNBS section

About 2 weeks ago, I traded in my daily driver '03 Tahoe due to some forthcoming expensive repairs, and picked up a clean GM Certified '09 Tahoe 1LT with 40k on the clock. This truck along with most newer Tahoes has a 5.3L flex fuel LMG with Active Fuel Management(4 cylinder mode during light throttle highway cruising). After some research about AFM on the web, it seems that some people have had issues with Lifters failing due to the AFM system between 40-80k. Does anybody have any insight on this? Thoughts? After reading some of the horror stories out there, I am considering disabling the AFM on this truck. The previous owner changed the oil religiously every 3k. Am I over reacting?

I saw this device on the web in lieu of getting a custom tune, I want to keep the truck 100% STOCK........

http://www.rangetechnology.com/pages/v8

Not sure if it is the same motor, my wife's 07 Monte Carlo SS with the 5.3 AFM just turned over 110,000 miles no prolbems with the AFM, changed oil every 4,000 miles or so. Their is a filter on our motor, it is under the oil sending unit, I changed it at 80,000 ànd it was still clean. It actually is a screen. I think it is their to protect the soliond valve asslbely from metal particials.

attachicon.gifIMAG0984.jpg

I saw an Impala SS with the AFM the other night at a service station...talked with the owner quickly. Not one issue yet, over 50k and I specifically asked him about the fuel management.

I wouldn't worry too much as you have the warranty, I was told by a good friend that has been selling Chevy's for years to keep the oil change between 3 & 4k and not follow the oil life monitor. That should help avoid the issue you that you are looking to avoid.

I have seen a few AFM trucks with lifter failure! Most of the time it is the roller that ends up failing and comes apart. These veh also have updated valvecovers and a cover that goes over the AFM valve that it in the oil pan to help with oil consumption issues. We see about 3-4 vehicle a year with these issues. If you need any more info PM me and I will try to answer your questions.

Well, heres my story. I had a '06 V-MAXX, traded it in when new body styles came out in '07. Ofcourse it was another V-MAXX. New truck was LOADED. It was SIGNIFICANTLY slower than my previous stock '06. So, after about 20k miles, i sent in my engine and tranny computers to PCM for less, and got a tune. Kept all factory features such as traction control, tow mode, AFM, etc, etc... Got it back and it was alot better of course. So around 50k miles, with oil changes not exceeding 4k miles, i was on the way to the store, and the truck lost power, and engine, traction control, and a few other lights came on. It was more than obvious that it was most certainly misfiring, ot atleast i could tell that i had one or more dead cylinders. Never dawned on me that the AFM may be screwing up. So, I pulled over, killed engine, got out popped the hood and was checking plug wires, coil packs, etc. All seemed fine so i got in it, cranked it up, and it took off like nothing happened. Never thought twice about it. Later on, at around 55-56k miles, it got ugly. It was 2:30am, im on the way to the heliport to catch a helicopter to get to the platform i work on in the gulf of mexico, and it does it again. I just so happen to be on the Causeway bridge, which is 32 miles long, and no shoulder. So i slowed down, made it to one of the turn arounds about 3 miles later, and i pulled over. When i c ame to a stop, the truck died. So, im walking in circles sippin on some coffe, afraif to see what would happen if i tried to crank it, because if it doesnt crank, I would be in a tight spot! Between having to call my boss at 3am, a towtruck, and someone to come get me. So i jumped in it, turned the key, and it started, running like shit, but it was running. And let me tell you, when the truck loses power, the transmission gets full line pressure, talk about shift like a dragster.. At this point im clueless as to what was going on, all i could think about was the tune having messed up something. I drove it all the way to the heliport, another 110miles like that. I mean who cares, its under warranty right? So i got to work, called PCM for less, told them I needed my tune removed and to look as factory as possible. He told me it was no problem at all. So when i got home, i took the computers out, I left the truck there and got a ride home with someone passing my way. I sent in my computers to PCM for less on overnight shipping and had them returned. When i went down to the heliport in thought of putting the computers back in and taking it to the dealership, it wouldnt even start after the stock tune was re-installed. I had it towed to what they call a SUPER CHEVY DEALER, not far from home. They informed me that 2 lifters collapsed, causing misfiring on 2 cylinders, so the lifters then commenced to beating the shit out of the cam. So, all new valves, lifters, cam, and all that good stuff. I actually think they replaced the head too. $4600 job all under warranty. (Thanks PCM for less lol) Got it back from the shop, drove it 200miles, and it did it again. Guys, im not kidding when i say this, but that truck ATE 9, nine, the number after 8, and before 10, yes NINE sets of lifters, valves, heads, and cam. I thought checy mechanics were half-assin it, but i personally saw the new parts that they were putting in. There was 3 occasions that it was in the in access of 5 weeks. I got an attorney and made him aware of what was going on. I personally called the general morors corporation and talked to a foreign guy that i couldnt even understand that claimed his name was Brandon. He was a representative for the big guys. Basically, you tell him what you wanna say, he tells the big wigs, the big wigs reply to him, and he replies to you. STUPID STUPID STUPID!!! After the 5th time my truck was in the shop, i demanded assistance with the note from GM because it was in the shop for over 4 weeks, this being the 3rd timne it was in thge shop longer than 3 weeks. They offered to pay 35% of ONE months truck note. I refused it and went back to the attorney. He made a phone call, 3 months later i recieved a letter in the mail from GM, stating that they were willing to take the truck back, return all payments, all taxes, all rental car fees, and all interest paid on the truck from when it was new up until that date. I accepted, 2 weeks later they came and picked up the truck with a sincere apology letter, and a $5000 off coupon on a new chevy from any authorized dealer. I gave the attorney $1000, sold the coupon for $500, and went and bought a titan lol. My advice is, if you have AFM, tune it out, disable it. Its a common problem, and it is one nightmare.

G.

Go to GM-Trucks.com. read up. Range is one of our vendors and members get 15% off. There are threads from them and they are on there as much as kelleyperformance is on here.

It seems to be helping people so far.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/150751-disable-afm-without-tuning/

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Edited by chawkins6789 (see edit history)