Just smoked a 72 440 Challenger

SSchevySS

Was minding my own biz coming home from work on US 27 in Lex, Ky and roll up on a sweet 72 Challenger with 440 graphics... We slow to a roll and chat as we roll he said it was a 30 over 440 with a cam was hitting a pretty mean lick, 390 posi dana 60 and 2 Carter AFB's on a cross ram intake... I figure he would smoke me something awful... From a 10-15 mph kick I pulled him a truck and stayed around a truck to a truck and a half up till around 80 and traffic made us back off... He pulled off as quick as he could but gave me a big thumbs up and a honk... My question would be is my truck that fast [and I know it is not] or does he need to go back to the drawing board.. None the less it was fun and I won !!! I just wish I could multi task and video and drive at the same time !!! LOL !!!

No dude, your truck isnt fast.... let me rephrase, not to say its slow. What i mean to say is, those old cars are eFFing slow. Back in the day they were fast cause thats all that was around. Technology has advanced so much since than even a 5.3 would most likely smoke those old school. Unless they have done a ls swap and than you would have to worry about your truck being slow. I have a 69 Nova SS and let me tell you..... I turn the key and have made guys scared to race. Only if they knew my car is slow as hell. Those old motors sound bad ass but they dont make crap for power. ALSO unless they are a fully built race motor (Which you wont see driving on the streets)

Sounds like fun. I'd race anything a train, a plane shoot idk it's all in fun and eventually someone will blow my doors off and it's all good hahahahaha.

LOL !!!

On a whole I race things out of my league to see where I stand, I dont see any reason to race something I know I can beat, No reason to take a chance breaking something on a sure win...

And I know i am slow so I have alot of competition ... LOL ...

No dude, your truck isnt fast.... let me rephrase, not to say its slow. What i mean to say is, those old cars are eFFing slow. Back in the day they were fast cause thats all that was around. Technology has advanced so much since than even a 5.3 would most likely smoke those old school. Unless they have done a ls swap and than you would have to worry about your truck being slow. I have a 69 Nova SS and let me tell you..... I turn the key and have made guys scared to race. Only if they knew my car is slow as hell. Those old motors sound bad ass but they dont make crap for power. ALSO unless they are a fully built race motor (Which you wont see driving on the streets)

I know my truck is NOT fast, but it does pretty good for a fat ass truck !!! And I have been around old school for a while a friends 68' Camaro 396 [402] 375 horse has trouble getting into the 14's and I out run him but I would of thought a 440 Challenger would have smoked me bad sounding as mean as it did, They did run high 13's back in the day stock... But he could have been blowing smoke and had a cammed 273 cid !!! But it was fun to win one and beat a very cool looking car...

In all likelyhood, that Camaro you mentioned would hand it to that 440 Challenger. Either way good run. I have a similar story with a 340 Cuda vs my 99 Camaro SS when it was stock. We did one highway pull and he took off and I never saw the car again. Too bad too, cause I like to know the history of the cars/trucks I race, the build, etc.

Good kill!

In all likelyhood, that Camaro you mentioned would hand it to that 440 Challenger. Either way good run. I have a similar story with a 340 Cuda vs my 99 Camaro SS when it was stock. We did one highway pull and he took off and I never saw the car again. Too bad too, cause I like to know the history of the cars/trucks I race, the build, etc.

Good kill!

It was a fun kill, Wish he would have stopped to talk... I like talking and bs>ing I can talk a lot better than I can type !!! LOL !!!

• 2 months later...

that Challenger was prob a dog esp with the dual quads!!

My 70 SS 454 12.90's will smoke my stock SSS and some that are modded I would think. My 70 GTO does low 13's.

Don't count your chickens just because you line up on old muscle!

that Challenger was prob a dog esp with the dual quads!!

My 70 SS 454 12.90's will smoke my stock SSS and some that are modded I would think. My 70 GTO does low 13's.

Don't count your chickens just because you line up on old muscle!

In my OP I said that I figured he would smoke me something awful !!!

So I don't think there is any chicken counting going on !!! I know my truck is slow in the big picture but does well for what it is and I have been around the block a time or two... And it's awesome that you have some fast old hotrods, But why even comment if you don't have anything positive to say !!!

And thank you for informing me that my truck is slow in a round about way !!!

Have a nice day !!!

I've slapped some old school muscle around. These trucks run damn good for what they are. I'd love for something old school to jump on ol blue haha. If he spins at all he's gonna have a whole lot of catch up to do.