Towing Question

Hobes

Tried searching and didn't find an answer to this particular question.

I have an 04 SS, completely stock. I've never towed anything but I'm going to be picking up a small travel trailer, dry weight around 2700 lbs, 300 lbs on the hitch.

What I'm wondering is if a weight distribution hitch is necessary to tow a small trailer like this. One sales guy went as far as saying I would need a distribution hitch with anti-sway.

Like I said, I've never towed anything before so I don't know. But part of me is thinking all of that might be overkill for towing such a small trailer.

So should I get the weight distribution hitch? Should I get one with anti-sway? If not, at what weight should you start considering these things?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You should be fine, the issue will be more on how much wind it will grab. How long is the trailer and where do you plan on taking it? If you will be going drives on long open roads it might be a consideration.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

RonBoySS... The trailers I'm looking at are 19-20 feet long. Not taking it on long trips, just around southern Alberta. The wind can pick up along some of the highways but the longest of my trips are under 3 hours. There might be the very odd trip we take that's longer, but for the most part a 2 hour trip is as long as it gets, if not less.

You won't have any trouble believe me. Guys have hauled trailers with 2 cars on them with no issues. I've pulled a 21 foot boat weighing twice that with no issues what so ever. It's only missing one leaf spring but it's still a full size truck with a big engine and Awd.

New question...

We decided we want to get a bit bigger trailer so we won't be worried about upgrading in a year or two. Now looking at ones that are around 4-4500 dryweight, 500 on the hitch.

Would I want weight distibution and sway control for that?

In your case sir, I would no question add some rear suspension equipment such as helper bags. And if you want your Super Sport truck to handle much better than an HD you will want to add sway bars front and rear. Your truck will be like this with helper bags:

With no bags you will be like this

In towing operations, I honestly believe you need every option on your side. From watching these videos no question I would add rear helper bags. As far as sway bars, DJM has the best and most thick however they do not work with a Corsa exhaust system. I honestly prefer Belltech but my opinion. I hope this helps in your towing matters.

Also, I would consider a bigger alternator. My neighbor who was treasurer of the Corvete Club of New England had a Pro Sport GMC Z71 and he had two batteries, and a the towing edition 2005 alternator. This was just for protection, not for normal use.

E-fans can always help free up some little hp. I highly suggest a tune, but this is something you should talk to Wheatley, Zippy, Kelley Performance or Blackbear. They can change your Tourqe Management in a tune if needed and change your shift points if needed outside the stock towing button. But realize when you add a cai, muffler, you will gain HP, and even more power can be extracted even more from a tune.

I would sell you my stock hitch that has been on my truck in a heartbeat, but due to certain circumstances I cant even wrench right now sir.

Weight distribution hitch, and a sway bar plus brakes you will be fine if it only has a 500 lbs tongue rating. The weight distribution hitch allows adjustments so you can be near stock ride height when you tow

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Edited by chawkins6789 (see edit history)

Ended up getting a 23ft, 4200 dry, 360 on the hitch. Hitchweight seems a little low, but that's what the specs said. Mind you there's two propane tanks and a battery sitting on the tongue too, and there will be more cargo in the front end of the trailer once we load it up so it's actually a fair bit more.

Got a brake controller and a weight distribution hitch. No anti-sway as of yet, I don't have the tools to properly install that part right now.

Anyway, the little amount I've driven since picking it up, no sway issues. Only thing I've noticed is a chugging feeling. Maybe not chugging, but when I get up to speed it feels like I'm driving a boat, going over waves.

One friend of mine that's done a little bit of towing says that's normal. And I wouldn't know, this is the first time I've ever towed anything. I wasn't expecting it to feel like I'm just driving my truck normally, I just expected it to be smoother.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a weight distribution hitch is designed specifically to help minimize this issue right? Would tightening up the bars/shortening the chains on the WDH help with this? Is it possible to go too tight here?

Anything else I should look into? Or is it completely normal and I just need to get used to it?

You will have to get use to it. To me it's seems fine. I don't see you needing to do anything extra. Just drag it around a little and get a feeling for it.

I think it is something you get used to, I get it with my 5th wheel at certain speeds. When it happens look to see if you can minimize with a slight speed up or down. The other potential issue is if it is swaying due to a light tongue weight, don't think it is this though. When you adjust the sway bars the trailer and truck should be level or close.

Good luck and have fun!

post-22626-0-67614000-1372562151_thumb.jpg

Edited by RonBoySS (see edit history)