Few questions about buying a new truck

Ruben525

So I went to the dealer today to check out the 2013 and 2014 sierras well I made up my mind I want a 14 but there are no rebates right now and I'm looking at somewhere around 44k out the door. I got a quick quote and with 15k down ill still have a 530.00 payment and that seems kinda high but I've never bought anything brand new before so not too sure how payments work. I have 18-20k to put down but is it better to put that down or is it better to send more to the princable? Any tricks to get the price down? Ill take any advice you guys have. Also I have a point or 2 on my record and my insurence might be a little so that's another reason I don't want a high payment. I'm hoping rebates or some kind of sale will come out maybe 4th of July?.

As I said before you will get a lot more for your money buying a 13. If your set on a 14, I would wait until the hype is over IE; another 6 months or so. I know its tough though cause buying a new truck is a great feeling, but if you can, wait for a better deal... not when they have only been out 1 or 2 months.

Its better to put as much down as you can, otherwise you will owe more with interest. Say you put down 15K instead of 20K, you will be paying more insterest out of that 5K difference, plus your payments will be higher.

Basically there are really no tricks in getting the price down. Dealers always make more money on used vehicles than new. You might be able to get them down a little but not much. Newer vehicles the dealer doesnt make much return on them like they do used. Thats why they are that much more flexible with price.

Another thing is your credit score. For instance when I bought my wifes vehicle, they tried telling me the finance company that I had with her old vehicle, that they would only do a term of 3 years. blah blah blah. I called them on it and called the finance company. They told me they had no issue with the 5 year term which would bring my payments down to where I wanted them to be. The dealer runs your credit thru about 10 different lenders and picks the so called best lender with the best rate and finance term. But they dont show you the other lenders so you think your getting the best one....... You might not be..... Alot of times they wil ask you to put more money down as its the only way to get you into your payment range with this amount of credit and term. Thats how they screw you and get there money. Think ahead, dont buy into the nice sales guy pitch or new car sales manager. They might be nice, and try to talk to you about there personal cars, family what ever interests you, they want to build your trust in them. Dont...... Your there to buy a car for the best deal you can get, they arent friends who will be having a BBQ with you.... They arent there for your best interest, they are there to make as much money any way they can for them and the dealer, not to give you a screaming deal.

As far as rebates, they will tell you they dont know about any up coming rebates and they are informed of them the day before.... BS.... They know in advance so they know what vehicles need to be ready on the lot for those rebates so they are show ready... They get Emails from corporate in this case GM.... Look online and do some digging on new 14 rebates for that dealer..... Dont let them put the blinders on you. I know this is some what long, but I have been buying cars for along time, I know there ins and outs... Take what I have to say into consideration and you will walk away knowing you didnt get screwed. Always look over EVERYTHING before you sign it to make sure they didnt play the number game with you.... if they did, it will show in the final paperwork.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

So I went to the dealer today to check out the 2013 and 2014 sierras well I made up my mind I want a 14 but there are no rebates right now and I'm looking at somewhere around 44k out the door. I got a quick quote and with 15k down ill still have a 530.00 payment and that seems kinda high but I've never bought anything brand new before so not too sure how payments work. I have 18-20k to put down but is it better to put that down or is it better to send more to the princable? Any tricks to get the price down? Ill take any advice you guys have. Also I have a point or 2 on my record and my insurence might be a little so that's another reason I don't want a high payment. I'm hoping rebates or some kind of sale will come out maybe 4th of July?.

Which dealer did you go to?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I always get my financing done independently with the exception of zero% or a significantly low interest rate through the manufacturer. 99% of the time a credit union is going to offer you the lowest rate. Go get your pre-approved and have your financing in place before going to the dealer. The credit union or bank has no ties to the dealer. They are there to make you a loan and not sell you a car. All they care about is if the value is in the loan (the vehicle is worth what you want to borrow). When you go to the dealer all you have to do is agree upon a price. Once you do this, you bring them a certified check from your finance institution. It takes the entire 'finance ball' out of the dealers court and it is one thing less they can use to take advantage of you.

As mentioned above, the more you can put down the better. You pay interest on however much you borrow. For example, if you borrow 25k then you pay interest on 25k. If you borrow 15k then you pay interest on 15k. The less you borrow, the less you pay in interest.

This is the auto loan calculator I always play with when I am shopping.

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/auto/auto-loan-calculator.aspx

Once you know your term and interest rate (go get pre-approved at the bank!) you can figure out your exact payment. You can also use it to see how putting more or less down will effect your payment.

Car salesmen and car dealerships are there to make money. That is how they stay alive. No matter what they tell you, they are always making money. I have to agree with everybody above. The 14 just came out and I doubt there will be rebates on them right away. The 13 should have some decent rebates because the dealerships will want to move them out to make room for the new 14 that will be coming in. The only other thing I can tell you is to shop around. Since you are looking new, you can go to any GM dealer. When I bought my SS used I was buying that specific truck (a Honda dealer just happened to have it) so I was pretty much limited to dealing with that dealer as there were no other SS's for sale within 100 miles at the time. 44k is A LOT of money! Make sure you are happy with everything. For 44k I would think you could find a nice leftover 13' Denali. I think my buddy only paid a little more than that for his but if you HAVE TO HAVE the new 14 and can afford it... go for it, if the deal is right.

One last thing, I learned this from my grandfather who is very stubborn with car sales. DO NOT be afraid to walk away! They may tell you the deal is only good for right now and that is all BS! If you do walk away from the dealer, expect them to be calling you. My SS was a very smooth deal but the SER Altima I had before the SS took about 2 weeks and 2 walk outs to finally close the deal. The car started at 21k and I ended up at 16k which they of course told me would never happen. I walked, they called. I came back, I walked again, they called again... it really is just a game. Heck, I remember my grandfather walking away from a deal on a new truck over $50. I will never forget it, the dealer asked him if he was really going to loose this truck over $50. He looked right back at the salesman and asked if they were really going to loose a deal over $50, well, they did. He also taught me to never pay a dealer fee or a prep fee, he always refuses to pay them and bluntly tells the salesmen it is simply a cost of doing business.

As I said before you will get a lot more for your money buying a 13. If your set on a 14, I would wait until the hype is over IE; another 6 months or so. I know its tough though cause buying a new truck is a great feeling, but if you can, wait for a better deal... not when they have only been out 1 or 2 months.

X2

Always best to put down as much as possible. And like stated above dont be scared to walk out and say no. I'd also go with a 14 as well I think when they come out here I'm gonna go take a look at some rcsb's n see what kinda deals they have.

Was looking at the 14's last night waiting for dealer to stop screwing up alignment on SS. they are nice trucks. Was talking to sales guy and he told me they wont drop price at all on those til chevy truck month which i think is oct. The deals on the 13s are incredible though. they need those things off the lot.

and yeah the more you put down the lower your payments. I second that a local credit union will have best rates.

Motor city and thanks everyone for all the info I'm gonna look around online to see if I can find some info on rebates and if nothing is coming out soon looks like I might have to wait awhile but it's worth it to not over pay

Motor city and thanks everyone for all the info I'm gonna look around online to see if I can find some info on rebates and if nothing is coming out soon looks like I might have to wait awhile but it's worth it to not over pay

I saw a white GMC with Motor City paper plates yesterday. Their service department is great. They handle our G6. I take the Sierra to Richland in Shafter.

Try to finance through a local credit union.

Yea I'm gonna look into it.

I saw a white GMC with Motor City paper plates yesterday. Their service department is great. They handle our G6. I take the Sierra to Richland in Shafter.

Yea I would like to buy local I'm gonna try family motors in delano