Russell Stainless brake lines fitament issues 04SS

All,

I did some searching and I can't find much on my problem.. I did a Z06 brake upgrade a few years ago and was changing my pads and tweaked one of my russell stainless lines. I got a new set of 672430 and they aren't fitting the front hard lines. I called Russell and they claimed they are the right ones.. I have no clue what part number I got a few years ago. I tried both fronts from the new kit and they screw in about one revolution and get very tight. The damaged line screws right in to the hard line. Anyone have any idea if there is a different part number? Thanks in advance for your input.

UPDATE: ok.. I just noticed my old lines are EARLS and not RUSSELL. The old part number is EAR-28A640ERL .. Seems these are discontinued. The Russells are a different size at the hard line at least on my 04ss

Bill

Edited by BILLS04SS (see edit history)

From what I can tell it's a bit hit or miss.. I know the Earls's lines fit perfectly. Another thing I noticed is that the Earl's lines have/had a square banjo at the calipers where the Russels have a round banjo connector. You may get lucky and have the hard line connection match up perfectly. I really wish someone would address this issue since it's not the first time I've seen this topic around. I may have to go with an adaptor if I can't find a resolution soon.

B

All,

I did some searching and I can't find much on my problem.. I did a Z06 brake upgrade a few years ago and was changing my pads and tweaked one of my russell stainless lines. I got a new set of 672430 and they aren't fitting the front hard lines. I called Russell and they claimed they are the right ones.. I have no clue what part number I got a few years ago. I tried both fronts from the new kit and they screw in about one revolution and get very tight. The damaged line screws right in to the hard line. Anyone have any idea if there is a different part number? Thanks in advance for your input.

UPDATE: ok.. I just noticed my old lines are EARLS and not RUSSELL. The old part number is EAR-28A640ERL .. Seems these are discontinued. The Russells are a different size at the hard line at least on my 04ss

Bill

I have the Earls on my 03 sss since 2004. I was going to change them out with the Russells kit you have. Did you figure out anything yet? Adapter to the hardline on the fronts? Did the backs fit/bolt right up?

:pop:

Im curious myself on what the outcome will be. You said you turn it about half a turn and it gets tight? So the threads on the Earls match but the Russels dont? Yeah either an adapter or maybe carefully run a thread tap through it? Ive replaced factory calipers in the past and itd do the same thing. The reman calipers are sandblasted and painted, so the banjo threads on the caliper need to be chased before you connect the brake lines, or it'll get about half a turn and get tight. Definitely dont wanna force it. Lol. Keep us informed!

I have a set of russel's at the shop unopened that I got a couple years ago I will check the part number on them and let you know if it is the same. I installed a set of russells on my 03 ss with stock cali's but I do not have that number either, I have not ordered the Z06 parts yet, good to know this may be a problem though.

Dave

:pop:

Im curious myself on what the outcome will be. You said you turn it about half a turn and it gets tight? So the threads on the Earls match but the Russels dont? Yeah either an adapter or maybe carefully run a thread tap through it? Ive replaced factory calipers in the past and itd do the same thing. The reman calipers are sandblasted and painted, so the banjo threads on the caliper need to be chased before you connect the brake lines, or it'll get about half a turn and get tight. Definitely dont wanna force it. Lol. Keep us informed!

UPDATE: OK so I really even hate to admit this. I talked extensively with Earls and Russell yesterday with regards to my fitament issues. The guy from Russell double checked the part number and told me it was correct.. To make a long story short, I decided to try it again with the russell lines. Again, the line screwed into that hardline about one turn and stopped. I decided to use a line wrench and just go for it.. after about a half a turn it started to go in smoothly and worked as stated. I am by no means an idiot and have worked on cars/trucks for a very long time. I just wanted to be sure not to screw up my hard lines. With that said the correct russell part number 672430 worked perfectly. I'd also like to add that the quality of the russell lines are much better than the Earl's. I hope that my experience can help others out.

Bill

My SS Russel lines came in today and they are the wrong damn kit! They are 69570, a 5-piece line kit for 03-06 wd Silverado/Sierra WITH 4-6 INCES OF LIFT! Damn it! Dont trust Amazon's 'what fits my truck' thing. I'm going to try using them before sending them back. Since I am doing the z06 conversion with bigger calipers and rotors, maybe the extra length will be a good thing as the calipers will be further away from the axle than stock. Time will tell. If it wont work, I found a local shop that makes custom SS lines and will just the lines custom made.

I got the Hydrobooster all installed, just need to plum the lines. Calipers/pads are here and rotors should be here tomorrow.

UPDATE: OK so I really even hate to admit this. I talked extensively with Earls and Russell yesterday with regards to my fitament issues. The guy from Russell double checked the part number and told me it was correct.. To make a long story short, I decided to try it again with the russell lines. Again, the line screwed into that hardline about one turn and stopped. I decided to use a line wrench and just go for it.. after about a half a turn it started to go in smoothly and worked as stated. I am by no means an idiot and have worked on cars/trucks for a very long time. I just wanted to be sure not to screw up my hard lines. With that said the correct russell part number 672430 worked perfectly. I'd also like to add that the quality of the russell lines are much better than the Earl's. I hope that my experience can help others out.

Bill

Haha dont feel bad man! As you can see, you're not the first to have dealt with this. People think its an ongoing parts issue. Lots of people wondering why their kit isnt working. Just clean up the threads a little and you're good to go!

The extra length might come in handy... I remember reading a post where Kellyperformance? was saying the lines get a little tight with the z06 conversion.

John doesnt know what he's talking about.....

JK :jester: