differences in year modEls..

Jake99

Hi all im new here, I dont have a sss but im in the market for one and wondering what the difference is between all the year modals of the sss. Iv been around chevy trucks my hole life but never around the ss truck's, I just want to know the pros and cons so I can get the best truck suited for me. I know the 06s went to 2wd and a bigger rear end but thats about all I know. Its going to be a weekend truck and It will pull the boat to the lake from time to time, I will also be racing it some so it will get boltons with a mild cam and converter. Also et and mph at the track 2wd vs awd? Thanks

The 03 thru 04 are only AWD, 05 had the choice of either AWD or RWD, first year of the moon roof, and the electric fans. The rare SS is the 07 as there were only limited number. Otherwise they were pretty much the same minus certain options here and there. Also the colors for the SSS varied from year to year as well. the 03 and 04 only had Onyx Black, Arrival Blue, and Victory Red. The 05 had Silver birch as a new color.

All that ^^ also in 06 the interior was no longer loaded standard. There were options for cloth seats, and even jump seat iirc

And of course the 06 and 07s have the 06 hoods and grilles which are tits. That's the only exterior difference between all the years minus the ISS wing and colors

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

You couldn't pick between AWD or RWD in '05, neither were an option. The first half of '05 was AWD, the second half of the model year was RWD. The RWD models have larger 13" front rotors with PBRII calipers, and a 9.25" 14 bolt rear(3.73 ratio) with drum brakes....

Ok thanks for the input so far, I do like the 06 front end better and also like the factory efans. I was digging in the drivetrain section in here was seeing a number of front diff problems, is this a comen problem? The awd whould be nice for racing but if they cause problems id like to stay away from them. Id like to say ill never go crazy modding it but I said that about my last truck and it ended up running 10s lol.

knock on wood... but over 222k miles here and no problems yet with my front dif

Well that's real good then, I assume on a awd the front diff and drive line always spins vs a 4x4 only locks the front diff when the 4x4 is engauged. Would make sense that they would wear sooner then a 4x4 truck would. Im leaning towards the 05 1/2 to 07 right now, if I want a good number at the track id have to get off the 20s and on a light race wheel anyways then I might aswell just put drag radials on the back to get it to hook.

If you got your last truck in 10s, you may want awd for traction. I have nothing against 2wd at all, but my best comparison is when I was driving a GMC Z71 while owning my SS. After driving my SS model and then hopped in the Z71, I found my rear end getting loose, and I am known as a slow/easy driver. Jump in the SS and no spin. The Z71 had Pirelli's, gibson exhaust, K&N cai.

Maybe some 2wd guys can chime in on Caltracs and how much they help, or other ways to get best traction. Please do not think I am knocking 2wd, I have 2 other SSS trucks I am lightly considering (06 DEI SS, 07 SS with 23k miles on it).

AWD FTW!!!! I have 54K on it with a supercharger, heads, cam, plus much more, and 4:56 gears front and back no noise or issues... Knock on wood YET!! I cant beleive no one has mentioned the tranny yet lol... Anything above stock you must get at least servos and or a shift kit minnimum...

iv ridden in both awd and 2wd. I prefer the 2wd. with just bolt ons, i have yet to see an awd run as fast with the same mods. rotational mass will eat up some hp. not bashing the awd. its a great feature i personally just prefer the 2wd as I get slightly better fuel mileage, less stuff to break / or take care of. Traction? yea iv got some issues with it, but it can be overcome just as any car or truck can and will find traction with the right set up. Just look at the big picture and what you will use the truck for. If its big smokey burnouts and doghnuts then go 2wd. :thumbsup: