Need some help !!!!!!!!!!

cmoney23

Wasn't sure what section to post this in. Today my truck stated shaking bad, wobbling real bad. Shakes the heck outta you on the highway going any speed. And at a 5 m.p.h roll its got a wobble. Any ideas? Now is the worst time ever for me to be putting money in it. Any ideas where to start? I figure I would start out by getting all my wheels re balanced then an alignment, but not sure where to go after that if that don't work.

Wheel bearings I'd bet. Mine did it.

oh man dont say that.. how much? And how do i know for sure? Well i guess id know if i waste $200 getting it aligned and wheels balanced. Then how do i know which bearing is bad?

You shouldn't feel a wheel imbalance at 5mph... And I wouldn't trust the alignment shop to just refuse an alignment if you've got front end problems. I've seen people try to align vehicles with worn ball joints etc. I'd try to diag it yourself, or just take it to the shop for the wobble concern. I wouldn't go guessing yourself what it may be. It'd suck to get it aligned and wheels rebalanced and it not fix the problem. If you bring it in for the wobble concern, they'll quote you what needs to be fixed. And if it needs an alignment and wheels rebalanced, they'll do it. Does that make sense? So many times I've had someone bring in shocks, tie rod ends, ball joints... Like $500 in parts and $500 in labor, and the squeak they were trying to fix is still there after I installed all the new parts. They get upset and yell at me. I tell them "you just told me to install these parts you provided. If you just brought it in and told me you had a squeek you wanted fixed, I would have replaced the $2.50 bushing causing the squeek and sent you in your way." Lol. People try to diag it themselves and cost themselves more money on the end. So if you can figure it out and replace the parts yourself, id take that route. If not, just bring it in for the wobble concern and have them determine what it is. And if they misdiagnose it and start throwing parts at your truck, that's on them, not you. Lol.

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

Yeah "mid" that was a concern, there is a shop by me that i took my previous lowered truck to get an alignment and they said they couldnt because of a bad ball joint. But yeah i dont wanna go throwing parts at it or cash thats not needed. Ill just take her in and say she shakes n' wobbles...

You shouldn't feel a wheel imbalance at 5mph... And I wouldn't trust the alignment shop to just refuse an alignment if you've got front end problems. I've seen people try to align vehicles with worn ball joints etc. I'd try to diag it yourself, or just take it to the shop for the wobble concern. I wouldn't go guessing yourself what it may be. It'd suck to get it aligned and wheels rebalanced and it not fix the problem. If you bring it in for the wobble concern, they'll quote you what needs to be fixed. And if it needs an alignment and wheels rebalanced, they'll do it. Does that make sense? So many times I've had someone bring in shocks, tie rod ends, ball joints... Like $500 in parts and $500 in labor, and the squeak they were trying to fix is still there after I installed all the new parts. They get upset and yell at me. I tell them "you just told me to install these parts you provided. If you just brought it in and told me you had a squeek you wanted fixed, I would have replaced the $2.50 bushing causing the squeek and sent you in your way." Lol. People try to diag it themselves and cost themselves more money on the end. So if you can figure it out and replace the parts yourself, id take that route. If not, just bring it in for the wobble concern and have them determine what it is. And if they misdiagnose it and start throwing parts at your truck, that's on them, not you. Lol.

^^^^I could not have said it better!!!! Great advise. I am a GM Master tech and see this stuff happen all the time.....

I took a visual of tires and and underneath of the front of the truck. But just a visual only. Ill jack her up tomorrow and see if i have any play in the tires, then off to the shop. Sounding like a wheel hub in my future. Well if it is then ill have both sides replaced.

I took a visual of tires and and underneath of the front of the truck. But just a visual only. Ill jack her up tomorrow and see if i have any play in the tires, then off to the shop. Sounding like a wheel hub in my future. Well if it is then ill have both sides replaced.

I replaced one hub 2 1/2 years ago. The other side is still doing fine.