bed covers; roll up vs fold?

in the market for a bed cover. buying used because they're too damn expensive new. as i got looking, I'm torn between wanting a folding cover or roll up cover. roll ups are cleaner looking laid out, but folding seems much easier. I'm wondering..

- with all the different brands, models, features, looks ect.. what are the things i should look for/not look for in the cover?
- some ads are saying their cover fits 6.5' beds in nbs and nnbs's, which i don't think is possible...is it? different dimensions i would assume?
- going on the ss, so wanting something that looks nice. flush & sleek if possible
- do you have a roll up or fold? had both? whats your preference or what would you suggest

roll & lock styles aren't available and neither is the bakflip, so they are out of the question. and although all your fiberglass covers look awesome, i'd hate not being able to have an open bed, so dnw them either

pics are welcomed too :cheers:

Edited by bassmaster (see edit history)

I would go with a hard cover any day. I had one on my old silverado ss and loved it. The nice thing it was lockable and the tailgate couldnt be opened unless you unlock the cover with a key so it had 2 types of security. It was flush with the bed and blended in. It folded up and down in seconds and had locking positions so it wouldnt unfold while driving.

I have a leather roll up cover now on my new silverado ss and hate it. It doesnt roll like its supposed to, you have to condition it to keep the warranty, its a pain to clip back in if it isnt hot outside to soften the leather and allow it to stretch. If its cold you arent getting it back on, there is no security.

I would go with a hard folding cover anyday. '

heres my old one to give you a idea.

DSCN1536.jpg

heres my new one....

SilveradoSSclean.jpg

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

Thanks! That roll up looks great though! Kinda the look I'd prefer; low pro, sleek, and real clean. I have heard of weather affecting those crappy snap on covers, and i guess the soft roll ups would be along the same lines

There are aren't any hard top folds like the one you have on CL at the moment, just tri folds with vinyl top, like this extang trifecta;

zugude8e.jpg

qugu3eze.jpg

veraqesa.jpg

Which looks great I think, but the vinyl will get a little hump in it over the rails at the folds after some time and not look as clean. If your mobile, zoom in on the truck pic and you can slightly see the little humps above each end of the tire basically. I seen pics of other ones and it gets worse

There's also a 'Real Series Flip-Top Tonneau Cover' for 200, but they're like 270 brand new and just about the exact same as the extang, who wants 350

Edit. Just came across a roll & lock too :hmm:

http://allentown.craigslist.org/pts/3950074742.html

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

Edited by bassmaster (see edit history)

i think they do fit the nbs and nnnbs if they go between the rails. ones that go on top of rails would probably not fit as i believe the difference in the 2 beds is the width of the rail.

I just got a new one couple weeks ago. a seal and peel lund. for the $179 its not bad at all. If youre on a budget might be worth looking at. If i had the money id go with a hard fiberglass

post-21323-0-73119000-1374580126_thumb.jpg

Edited by chevytruckjsm (see edit history)

I'm in the same boat you are, I need a bed cover myself, gonna start looking around.
Good luck, there's a ton of them!

i think they do fit the nbs and nnnbs if they go between the rails. ones that go on top of rails would probably not fit as i believe the difference in the 2 beds is the width of the rail. I just got a new one couple weeks ago. a seal and peel lund. for the $179 its not bad at all. If youre on a budget might be worth looking at. If i had the money id go with a hard fiberglass

Wow that looks pretty good for being so inexpensive! I'll definitely look them up. And thanks for the nnbs info

I gota tuxedo low pro roll up cover an I love it they all have a lifetime WARRENTY for cuts,rips,tears, and even sunfadeing

Damn that's a solid warranty! The cover looks awesome man. I'm not sure if I'd prefer over or under the rails though yet

I have researched bed covers as I am wanting one also. I'm with a trifold. I am looking at getting a bakflip. They are sweet check em out. Fair price for a new one.

Yes I've seen them. They seem to be the best in fold covers, but a little pricy imo at 600+ for a new one iircSent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

I have the hard fiberglass cover and I hate it. I would never spend the money for it but it came on the truck already. It is really damaging the paint on my bed rails. I had the soft roll-up cover on my old F-150, again, never again. Those snaps are a pita and as mentioned above, if it isn't warm and sunny, it isn't going back on. If I were doing it all over again, it would be a hard tri-folding one or possibly a roll and lock. My buddy has a roll and lock and although I am not 100% sold about on it, I don't dislike it either.

I have a tool box that sits flush with the bed rails at the front of the bed. In your searching, have you or anyone else found a tonneau cover that would work with a tool box? I want one but I don't want to make it too hard to get into the tool box, this is the first vehicle I've kept uncluttered inside and the tool box is where I put random stuff and I'd like to keep it that way

actually i have! a buddy of mine has a vinyl cover with his 8' bed & toolbox that either tilts up (like a fiberglass cover i assume?) or rolls up. also, when i was looking up stuff about the Roll N Lock covers, i seen a couple clips of the cover box just placed right behind the tool box. not sure if it was specially made size wise for the shorter length of bed, or they just got the full size one and placed it there

i found a great deal on a Roll N Lock cover ~2.5hours away from me. asking $200 includes everything. hopefully i can snag that