Doug's Electric Cutouts

MID12sSSS

Ive always wanted a set of these. I know they'll do wonders for vehicles with a restrictive stock exhaust, because with the flip of a switch, they have a free flowing exhaust, freeing up horsepower. But do you think id see just as much gains? I have American Racing Longtubes, gutted cats and a corsa sport exhaust. I put 2 bullet resonators in just before the Y-pipe to the corsa muffler after getting a real raspy/pingy sound. Its got a good deep tone to it now and i love it, but ive been thinking about cutting out my cats (since they're gutted anyway) and replacing them with cutouts. I know it'd sound great with cutouts right at the collector of the headers. Especially idle. It'll make a mild cam sound nasty. Anyway, my question is, will installing cutouts sacrifice performance at all? Sounds like a weird question as they're supposed to improve performance, but the Y-pipe shape looks restrictive when closed, and when they're open, could be possible to have too little backpressure? I know a free flowing exhaust is great, but too little backpressure can hurt too. Ideas? Is it worth $470? Would you run WOT at the track with the cutouts open or closed. I know a few members have them. Any opinions or ideas? Thanks guys.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dou-dec300ak?seid=srese1&gclid=CIeH7ZzE17gCFaU5QgodCiIA0w

That's kinda pricey, and since your running a y pipe setup vs an x pipe you can do with a single cut out after the y merge. And as far as gaining anything, people say there's an increase in horsepower and loss of torque, I personally haven't done a dyno comparison to know for sure but I have ran cut outs before including a borla adjustable exhaust on an FBody. I'd definitely run a cutout again, but it would be for the sound factor vs looking to gain horsepower. I'd build a free flowing exhaust to start off and then add a cutout.

And I'd loose the gutted cats and replace them with a straight exhaust pipe, idk if it's true but people say gutted cats interfere with the exhaust flow or velocity.

Those will be my next purchase. I already got the Doug's cutouts in 3" but capped off. I can get them for 400$ on ebay. It helps alot at the track. I pick up 2 tenths in the 1/8 by opening up the cutouts. Plus it sounds so nasty haha.

Yeah. I guess I could get away with only using one, but it wouldn't be until right before the muffler. I think itd be nicer to ditch whats left of the cats and put these guys in. The exhaust comes off of each exhaust header and runs completely seperately until the Y just before the muffler. It doesn't Y right behind the passenger side exhaust manifold like stock. Then a big free flowing muffler like the corsa, I don't think I've got any issues. Although, I've heard great things about running an X pipe system.

I was just curious if bypassing the entire exhaust by putting cutouts 8inches below each header would have any negative effects, since some back pressure is a good thing. So Jason, you actually see a gain from running the cutouts? You've got manual ones now?

I want some myself, if you have the money go for it!

LOL. I dont have the money. Im not an RB anymore. My truck stole all my money and its still prying for more.

So i supplement myself an allowance for my truck and slowly get go fast parts when i can. Gotta pay to play.

:peelout:

I have a set of Doug's and I love them, there is absolutely no exhaust leak when they're closed which is why I wanted them.

But as far as hp gains your really not gonna get much of anything. Cutouts are more for fun.

Okay. That's what I was looking for. I don't mind if I don't see any gains, as like you said, its just for fun. But I didn't wanna hurt performance at all by installing them. Thanks for the input guys. Kind of a noobie question, but I just wanted some input from those that have run cutouts. Ill look into getting a set. They'd be cool to have.

I can't wait to get mine because every time from now on when someone pulls up with some loud ghetto crap blazin I'm gonna flip the switch on em. And like I said at the track with th open compared to your exhaust closed you will pick up some time believe me. I did.

LOL. I dont have the money. Im not an RB anymore. My truck stole all my money and its still prying for more.

So i supplement myself an allowance for my truck and slowly get go fast parts when i can. Gotta pay to play.

:peelout:

i hear ya bro I'm in the same boat as you!

I have a set of Doug's and I love them, there is absolutely no exhaust leak when they're closed which is why I wanted them.

But as far as hp gains your really not gonna get much of anything. Cutouts are more for fun.

:withstupid: X2--- I have them right off my headers where the cats used to be... I was told to put cutouts as close to headers as possible to get gains otherwise they are just noise...Either way I don't know, I don't feel much of a difference open or closed besides everyone crapping their pants like Dale Earnhardt just flew buy in his stock car... very very very did I say very loud!!!!!!!! At idle with any aftermarket cam they sound absolutley awesome and that lope is heavenly and everyone instantly looks and start drooling and flocking to your ride asking whats in it lol... Ahhh I want to drive my truck now and open the cutouts.... Just be careful of the POLICE... They don't like stock cars driving around in public so definatley get electric as most people don't know they exsist so if a cop is in site or comes up on you, you just toggle the switch and your muffler exhaust system takes back over... Its so :ninja:

MID12sSSS(Brandon) this is a old clip and has sound delay taken from my I-phone 3G in 2007 so bear with me on the quality but you will get the gist of it bud :loser:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...