Tranny issues?????

I myself would build the trans around future upgrades so you only have to do it once. Any trans shop can tell you they can build it, but will it last? I have seen alot of trannys blow up with your average trans builder. The best bet is to buy one from someone who builds them for high performance applications like FLT or Finish Line transmissions. They have different stage transmissions to choose from. I would also invest in a larger trans cooler and a aftermarket trans temp gauge. Call them up and they will go over what they can do and the parts that wil be used to meet your goals. I always build the trans to handle more than the vehicle will be so Im covered and dont have the hassle of rebuilding twice.

X2.. id never use them again.. but thats me.. good luck with the truck , OP

Why wouldnt you use them again? I have heard nothing but good things about them for years. PM if you like. I need a trans for my camaro and was going to go with them.

so you only have to do it once.

FYI no one on gods green earth can build a transmission to last forever. They will all fail at some point.

Think of it like this. You have friction material on clutches that is similar to brake pads (not chemically but in wear)

Every time the clutches come on and off it wears. So at some point the clutches will fail.

This something I have grown to hate.... the term "bullet proof" that is such a damn joke it isn't even funny. Yes people make better parts and billet this or that... doesn't matter in the end as clutches are a consumable part.

Bottom line you have to pay to play. If you think you can spend 1,500 or 15,000 to have something "bullet proof" you will be let down at some point.

FYI no one on gods green earth can build a transmission to last forever. They will all fail at some point.

Think of it like this. You have friction material on clutches that is similar to brake pads (not chemically but in wear)

Every time the clutches come on and off it wears. So at some point the clutches will fail.

This something I have grown to hate.... the term "bullet proof" that is such a damn joke it isn't even funny. Yes people make better parts and billet this or that... doesn't matter in the end as clutches are a consumable part.

Bottom line you have to pay to play. If you think you can spend 1,500 or 15,000 to have something "bullet proof" you will be let down at some point.

I realize s**t will break and wont last forever, I look at it in my perspective that if you dont cheap and get a qood builder you wont be building a new trans within a year. I have been there and done that 3 times in one year from a builder not giving me what I paid for, I have a broken wallet and car for that last 3 years due to the mistakes made with the tranny build

Edited by Krambo
Edit foul language (see edit history)

Seem to have a lot of forum tough guys here, fellas I was just looking for some advice to help me build a tranny that lasts a little longer than my stock one did. Any other advice would be appreciated. My SS is still sleeping in my driveway and I no likey that...

A Transgo hd2 shift kit will beef up your new tranny some. I'd install that while you're at it, along with switching to Sonnax metal accumulator pistons for sure. And then watch your temps closely, maybe with a more accurate aftermarket gauge and cooler like Blown346 mentioned...

I myself would build the trans around future upgrades so you only have to do it once. Any trans shop can tell you they can build it, but will it last? I have seen alot of trannys blow up with your average trans builder. The best bet is to buy one from someone who builds them for high performance applications like FLT or Finish Line transmissions. They have different stage transmissions to choose from. I would also invest in a larger trans cooler and a aftermarket trans temp gauge. Call them up and they will go over what they can do and the parts that wil be used to meet your goals. I always build the trans to handle more than the vehicle will be so Im covered and dont have the hassle of rebuilding twice.

Also, I see the point of your first sentence here. Build the transmission now based on future upgrades to the engine, etc., so that you only need to spend the time and money to upgrade the transmission this once, and hopefully that lasts you. That's how I read it, not as a boast that a tranny can be built to last forever. If someone wants to claim that, I'd like to place a large wager with them and take their truck for a test drive... when they have to come pick me up they better have the money! Haha