What belt broke....

Alrighty guys, started my truck the other day, and heard a loud POP like something let loose...... I opened the Hood and Discovered the Little Belt that runs on the lower crankshaft pulley to My what looks like AC compressor broke. So what is this Belt properly called, and will I harm anything driving with it off ( most likely have someone change it, as im too busy with work, and it looks pretty cramped even getting to it. ) If it was the serpentine belt I would do it, but I can barely get my hands in there to grab this little belt.

Thanks,

Justin.

It sounds like the a/c belt and the only thing it runs is the a/c compressor so you wont hurt anything, you just wont have any a/c. It is very simple to change and I would suggest changing out the tensioner at the same time. Change it by going up through the bottom, under the truck. That is what I found to be easiest. Also, to get to the a/c belt, you have to remove the main serpentine belt (the a/c belt sits behind the main belt). While you are at it, I would change the main serpentine belt and tensioner also. To get the main belt off you have to remove the intake tube first, then the fan shroud. It really isn't difficult at all and shouldn't take much time to do.

Thanks for the Info, I didn't even think of going through the bottom.... I guess ill just change it myself. I was planning on doing both belts reguardless, as its silly only changing 1 while im in there.

Yup, that would be the A/C belt. K040378 is the Gates part number. K060923 is the main serpentine belt if you have the 105 amp alternator or K060930 if you have the 145 amp. Wont hurt anything to run it with the A/C belt off, just dont turn on the A/C.

It sounds like the a/c belt and the only thing it runs is the a/c compressor so you wont hurt anything, you just wont have any a/c. It is very simple to change and I would suggest changing out the tensioner at the same time. Change it by going up through the bottom, under the truck. That is what I found to be easiest. Also, to get to the a/c belt, you have to remove the main serpentine belt (the a/c belt sits behind the main belt). While you are at it, I would change the main serpentine belt and tensioner also. To get the main belt off you have to remove the intake tube first, then the fan shroud. It really isn't difficult at all and shouldn't take much time to do.

^^^, changing from the bottom is pretty easy and shouldn't take all that long.