My SSS Replacement

chrishoekusmc

I've been wanting to share this with you guys for a while now but I have just been extremely busy. Anyway, as many of you know, I sold my SSS recently. I had been really wanting to start a project that would keep me busy for a while.

I thought about this for several months and could not find another car, truck, motorcycle, or boat that I could justify replacing the SSS with. Well, I ended up deciding to purchase an airplane to build.

It is made by Rans. Mine is the S-16 Shekari. Here are some links to some like it.

http://www.rans.com/Completions_16.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=rans+s-16+shekari&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=xRFDUrOAFIis9ATe7ICoCw&ved=0CEUQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=1005&dpr=1

It is a kit that someone else started. I have taken it from how he sold it to me, all the way back down to nothing, and now I am comming back forward with it. It was originally being built as a tricycle type gear configuration, but I am converting it to a tail dragger configuration.

The first pic is of the trip home with it. The second and third pics are just it in my garage. The fourth pic is with it torn almost all the way down. The fifth pic is how it sits right now. The last pic is an example of what it will look like when I'm done.

At the rate I'm going right now, it is probably going to take me around a year and a half to complete. I will provide updates as I go.

post-19162-0-04144700-1380131615_thumb.jpg

post-19162-0-44945700-1380133954_thumb.jpg

post-19162-0-79720100-1380133983_thumb.jpg

post-19162-0-68831000-1380134014_thumb.jpg

post-19162-0-34978600-1380134040_thumb.jpg

post-19162-0-66739900-1380134070_thumb.jpg

Awesome! What engine are you going with? Are you a pilot? Flying is my job, hobby, and some would even say my lifestyle! Good choice makin it a taildragger, thats way more fun if you are doing it for pure entertainment purposes! Good luck, wish you could have kept the SS as well but hey a plane is good too!

Awesome! What engine are you going with? Are you a pilot? Flying is my job, hobby, and some would even say my lifestyle! Good choice makin it a taildragger, thats way more fun if you are doing it for pure entertainment purposes! Good luck, wish you could have kept the SS as well but hey a plane is good too!

I'm going to put a Continental IO240 in it. Should cruise around 160 with that engine. I haven't flown in a while, but I used to fly KC-130s in the Marine Corps. I flew a little as a civilian prior to joining the Marines though. I'd love to find some fun flying job to do for a living, but I think I'm just going to keep it as a hobby.

Tail draggers just look so much cooler, plus I will get a few extra knots out of it and some added flexibility to bring it into grass strips.

I wish I could have kept the SS too, but I needed the spot in the garage :( and the money.

Well thats quite a change.

X2 night and day difference :)

I was going for something with a new direction ;)

Good to hear you got your truck sold, thats pretty dang cool man one of those is on my wish list too. Idk if I could spend a year and half building one lol but id sure enjoy flying one!

Yeah, it took a lot longer than I thought it would to get rid of. I've heard of some guys spending five years building these things.

Put an 0540 in it :) awesome Chris when u get done flew down and pic me up.

You buying? I'll come pick you up for sure man.

Great looking project. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to progress reports and photos.

Thanks. I'll do my best to provide some updates.

I've been wanting to share this with you guys for a while now but I have just been extremely busy. Anyway, as many of you know, I sold my SSS recently. I had been really wanting to start a project that would keep me busy for a while.

I thought about this for several months and could not find another car, truck, motorcycle, or boat that I could justify replacing the SSS with. Well, I ended up deciding to purchase an airplane to build.

It is made by Rans. Mine is the S-16 Shekari. Here are some links to some like it.

http://www.rans.com/Completions_16.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=rans+s-16+shekari&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=xRFDUrOAFIis9ATe7ICoCw&ved=0CEUQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=1005&dpr=1

It is a kit that someone else started. I have taken it from how he sold it to me, all the way back down to nothing, and now I am comming back forward with it. It was originally being built as a tricycle type gear configuration, but I am converting it to a tail dragger configuration.

The first pic is of the trip home with it. The second and third pics are just it in my garage. The fourth pic is with it torn almost all the way down. The fifth pic is how it sits right now. The last pic is an example of what it will look like when I'm done.

At the rate I'm going right now, it is probably going to take me around a year and a half to complete. I will provide updates as I go.

This is very cool and something i didnt expect to see on this forum. I live in the city where the corporate RANS office is. We get to see all sorts of RANS planes and bicycles around town. Pretty cool.

This is very cool and something i didnt expect to see on this forum. I live in the city where the corporate RANS office is. We get to see all sorts of RANS planes and bicycles around town. Pretty cool.

You must be near/in Hays Kansas then? I have yet to even look at their bikes yet, but I know they make them.

That looks so easy to put together even a caveman could do it.Seriously it looks like a fairly easy project to assemble I never thought I would say that about a plane.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

The instructions are pretty good on it but they still leave a lot of things for you to figure out, plus there is a little bit of fabrication involved. It's just one of these things though, some parts are easy, some parts are hard, some parts are fun, some are not. This project really appeals to my meticulous nature though, so I am enjoying it thoroughly.

Where's the model airplane glue ???

Seriously, that looks like it would be extremely fun to fly !!!

Way Cool ... :thumbs:

It should be a fun flyer. Supposed to cruise around 160 and it's aerobatic capable handling +4, -2 Gs.