Transfer case

Mr. Scary hit it on the head. There is not much to it at all. There is a rubber boot that covers the slip yoke portion on the transfer case side of the shaft that has a metal band around it. I had to cut that band then pull the shaft straight out.

That's what I was lookin to hear, I just didn't want to cut that band and it not be where I needed to start and have to pick up a new band from somewhere for no reason. Thanks for the help fellas, now I just hope the poppin noise is the u-joints and not the transfer itself. Y'all have a good weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are delicate you can reuse the band; there are two tiny metal "teeth" that you can straighten with a screwdriver, then wiggle the screwdriver between the "loop" to create some slack in the band, and you should then be able to gently pry up the open end of the band. To reinstall, clamp the band so that the "teeth" are engaged, then fold over the teeth to lock the band in place, finally use a pair of pliers or diagonal cutters to squish the "loop" and remove any slack.

Mr. P.

Yea I bought new metal clamps and the tool but ended up using the original clamp. Now I gotta pull it all out again cause I got a nasty popping coming from my transfer but thank god I got a used one on the way now. Thanks for all the help fellas, it's def nice to have a few different opinions on doin these projects. Y'all have a good one