Puff of white smoke at start-up. Freaking out!

90zxdriver

I am kind of freaking out and worried right now. The truck has been sitting for about a week. When I started it this afternoon I just happened to be looking out the passenger side mirror and noticed a white puff of smoke from the tail pipe upon start up. After the initial puff at start up, there hasn't been anymore smoke that I have noticed. I just got back from a 4,500 mile road trip and had no issues whatsoever. Oil pressure is about half way on the gauge (40ish psi). I have not noticed the truck leaking or burning any oil nor have I noticed the coolant level dropping. Oil is changed every 5,000 miles and I only run Mobile1 gold cap with a Mobile1 filter. The truck has 92,000 miles on it. I have never had any issue with this truck, especially any issues with the engine. I am obviously going to monitor the fluid levels and exhaust upon start ups extremely close from now on. I live in Florida and the temps have been 85-90 during the day and 75-80 at night. The coldest night he have had within the last week was 68 degrees, so no crazy extreme temperature changes or anything.

Am I over reacting or should I be looking for a new truck? What could this potentially be, hopefully nothing catastrophic. I guess the next test would a to run the compression. I know in the colder weather condensation is common but this looked like smoke and it was 86 degrees out.

It probably was smoke from burning a little bit of oil. Not really a big deal imo, but would make sense if it has sat for a week or so like you said. If its not smoking when you take off from a light, and only does it after sitting for a while, its nothing to worry about. A comprseeion test might be a good idea to see which cylinders are causing it though....??

My 1990 Sierra did this at aboyt 150K but it sat quite a bit. but would only do it at start up. But if it was warm alread and i started it wouldn't do it. only seemed to do it when it had been sitting over night. I drove it for many years like that without as issue. I sold it to a guy with him knowing that. the next day he drove it from Montana to Cali. I told him to call if he had any issues. I never heard from him so I would assume it did just fine. I'd just keep an eye on it and set if it gets worse.

COONNDDDEEENNSSSAATTTIIOONNN..... Does the exhaust drip any water out at start up? Mine almost always puffs a little white smoke... or humid air lol... I live in MN so at times there is alot of humidity and you can see your breath even if it isn't that cold out just high humidity and due point... Temps in the 60's and 50's almost all the time will create vapor fog from the exhaust... especially in the morning....