Trying to run si/so exhaust piping

bassmaster

I'd like to run a single in/single out straight through muffler on the truck, but not sure how that would effect the exhaust flow/back pressure with these trucks, seeing that factory is dual inlets. I don't know shit about exhaust flow/back pressure specifics FYI.

Was thinking of the magnaflow 3in/3out y-pipe right after the cats, 3" pipe to muffler, 3.5" out, dumped over axle. OR y-pipe after cats, 3.5" pipe in/out muffler, for I've heard these 6.0 benefit well from larger pipes

Factory now looks like dual 2.5in, dual out into y pipe, and 3.5" tailpipe?
In
a9a5unyg.jpg

Out
gaza2a2a.jpg

Tail
9usubyzy.jpg

heres the magna y pipe

magnaflow_y_pipe.jpg

*do not want magnaflow, flowmaster, corsa mufflers, or any di/so mufflers, so don't recommend lol*

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

Edited by bassmaster (see edit history)

To be honest with you, the stock size piping will work just fine. If you go larger you will decrease the back pressure where it can actually hurt performance. The only time you should go with a larger exhaust system from front to back is when the motor absolutely needs it. say with a stroker or larger cubed engine that needs to breath more where the stock size exhaust would restrict it.

Also do you realize how loud it will be without any muffler? If you live in an area where the cops are jerks, that would be a reason to pull you over.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

I ran mine as a dual in single out. My y pipe is a 2.5", and I used a 2.5"-3" merge collector with a v-band, to ss (stainless steel) 3" pipe, to a Borla muffler, and 3" mandrel bent tubing exiting before the rear wheel, and a custom tip.

Everyone loves the sound and I know no performance was lost with this setup.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Edited by sinr98 (see edit history)

The stock is dual 2.5" (or 2.75"?)..im trying to make it a single pipe so I can run an aeroturbine or bullet muffler. Not straight piping

If it's running two 2.5" pipes now, I doubt I could run just the one 2.5". Would have to upgrade to at least a single 3" I'd assume. Another forum guy told me a larger pipe has been proven to help the 6.0s. Don't know the source of info.

Edit. He replied.. " I did a lot of research and since the 6.0 is running 2.75" pipes stock, you need at least 3.5 if converting to a single exit, just like the new 6.2s come with stock."

I ran mine as a dual in single out. My y pipe is a 2.5" and I used a 2.5"-3" merge collector with a v-band to ss 3" pipe to a Borla muffler and mandrel bent tubing exiting before the rear wheel and a custom tip.

Little confused. Punctuation is a beautiful thing :jester: I'm guessing you have the stock setup except with a borla muffler?; stock Dual 2.5" into muffler, dual out with a y-pipe just after the muffler, then single the 3" tailpipe?

I myself dont agree with going larger until you need it. Dyno results have proven less gains with going larger on exhaust when the motor isnt capable of needing something larger. The 6.2 is a larger motor with different specs. GM made the exhaust a certain size for a reason. No need to try and make it better when you arent creating the power to do so. otherwise the engineers who planned the builds would have done so. Dont always go of when someone says i have done alot of research. Research and having it done and results are what you want to see.

Example. My camaro now has 3 inch exhaust from front to back, but then again the car makes 609 to tire on boost. No need to go larger as the 3 inch supports the power just fine and will not have to be changed unless I make some larger gaines and the motor is becoming restricted.

Not trying to sound like an ass in my post, its just how you read it. lol

Nono not an ass at all! I do see what your saying, and to me 3.5" catback exhaust seems really damn big lol. I was thinking more of a 3" Mid pipe then either 3 or 3.5 tailpipe. Hell a lifted 99-02 Sierra diesel down my street is making about 900hp/1600lbs torque running 4" catback pipe

I won't be doing any crazy work with the motor. Just headers, intake, exhaust, tune. Should be good enough.

I ran mine as a dual in single out. My y pipe is a 2.5" and I used a 2.5"-3" merge collector with a v-band to ss 3" pipe to a Borla muffler and mandrel bent tubing exiting before the rear wheel and a custom tip.

Everyone loves the sound and I know no performance was lost with this setup.

Sorry about the lack of a comma. Since reading word for word is confusing, I will edit the post and draw a picture.

And no part of my exhaust is stock other than my front O2 sensors.

And by the way a single bullet muffler will be loud!

ooh yeah thats exactly what im trying to do! except ill dump over axle or maybe turndown after muffler. when you first said you ran as a dual in/ single out..i was thinking thats what the muffler was. i was wondering where you had the Y pipe at, figured it had to be after the muffler like factory. simple mis-read lol thats what ill plan to do then!

isnt the factory dual pipes 2.75" in which case id need a dual 3"in - single 3"out Y-pipe? id be placing it after the cats