Radix Questions. Mods, Times, and various things

Hello all. Just to start off I did read a TON of forums before posting. I came to the conclusion after searching that I am still a little confused lol.

***THIS WILL BE A STREET TRUCK, WITH TRACK USE WHEN I HAVE TIME***

I plan on dropping a shift kit and the vette servo in the 4l65e. Does it need to be built? Does anything else need to be added? Will this truck need a stall?

I also plan on full exhaust. Headers/Hi-Flow or no cats... What kind of intake/throttle body will I be needing to make this a efficient as possible? I already have a Volant CAI.

With the extra exhaust/possible intake mods, will the standard radix tune suffice or should i get it custom tuned?

With a good tire. What kind of times do you see this setup running in the 1/8? Does it need suspension mods to hook up? Only concerned with the 1/8 as that is what is around me or that I car to run.

What kind of power does this combo normally put down?

I do appreciate any and all comments. I know alot of people are proly tired of seeing these threads, but its alot of money just to throw away not to be sure. THANK YOU ALL for any comments suggestions :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotcha. Looks like ill be looking into a LS2 TB then with the X-Link

EDIT: Where the heck do you get this 90mm said j tube?

EDIT2: From the maggy site, it looks like the intake tube is on the front of the Supercharger... Is not right? Why am I confused?

http://www.magnacharger.com/images/PRODUCT/large/50.jpg

Edited by 02ws666 (see edit history)

Yeah the mp112 is rear inlet. I can snap some pics in a bit of mine. You can get the 87mm tbs for usually around $50-60 while the prettier 90mm's are usually quadruple that price, but look a lot better. I am running the 87 bc the car style aka ls2 wouldn't fit under my joe gibbs carbon fiber engine cover.

Also, don't forget to pin your crank. This is an absolute must. If you buy a usued kit I have the maggie supplied fuel pump still sealed up new that I won't be using. My truck is flex fuel so the stock pump is plenty.

So with the suggested 90mm parts, full exhaust... What kinda rwhp are we looking at and what kinda track times do we expect? Would it need a real tune after the full exhaust and additional 90mm parts? Will the 65le hold up if its not constantly ragged on? Should I get a stall? And suspension mods to hook? Not lowering the truck so its gotta stay stock height to some extent.

Again 99% of this truck will be on the street having fun. I don't have to drive it everyday and I have only put roughly 6k miles on it since May 19th, and that includes a trip from Dallas to FL, and back.. It will see under 10k a year. Currently has 33,xxx However, I do like to go to the local 1/8 when I have time. Since its RWD I knwo i will have traction issues, but i figure a good tire can cure that at the track.

THANK YOU ALL so far for the excellent responses!

Edited by 02ws666 (see edit history)

Yeah the 4l60e will last a while if you are easy on it. I would suggest an 80e swap if its in the budget. If not get a good trans cooler and a shift kit. As far as tune, you'll def need to get it custom tuned if you add exhaust and the 90mm swap. I wouldn't do a stall unless you're gonna do a cam swap too. I am still learning and playing with my truck. I am running a 3.1 pulley for about 6psi. This blower is in boost quick. I really like it, but it def runs out of breath high in the rpm. The 90mm swap helps with that some though.

If you are planning on buying the supercharger new I would skip the MP112 and go for the newer style TVS series 1900 or 2300.... Gives you more room to grow.... But either way will work just fine they each have there pros and cons (I think heat soak being one of them?).

suspension you will need cal trac or some sort of traction aid to get any traction. 20's at the track is pointless as they wont hook with real power in a 2wd configuration. look into a 15-17" rim with some drag radials. remove your swaybar when you go to the track. Itll help unload the front end and transfer weight. If you want to dial it in more, look into some adjustable shocks. Calvert has inexpensive ones that are adjustable. Like said above: go tvs 1900 or 2300, pulley down, larger fuel pump, some 1 7/8" headers and full catback. It will be a monster on the street.

Try and find the 90mm j-tube on performancetrucks.net website or PT.net FaceBook group. It'll be much less $ to buy a used one there then from Magnuson directly.

One other piece of info I always repeat that I don't see covered above is you being an 05 you have the return-less style fuel system. So try and find a Radix that is return-less. You can easily buy the fuel manifold piece to swap out if you buy a "return" style unit but it's a waste of $$. I made that mistake.

Now if you are seriously committed to a blower I'd suggest to build it backwards like how I did. And I know many people here have opinions and bad experiences with PerformaBuilt Transmissions but I replaced my LKQ junkyard trans with one of these before the blower so I could enjoy it and not worry when it was gonna go out. Now can this built trans break still? Absolutely, just depends on tuning, driving habits and maint. So do keep in mind once you are blown more than likely that will be the beginning of the end of your 65E. Not trying to be rude or not helpful, just realistic. I'm not sure how new you are to this truck game so just saying.

And I can tell you the Maggie tune is a very respectable tune. It was created by John Germanson, Magnuson's old tuner, he unfortunately passed away in 08 BUT he was able to train to my current tuner who has taken John's principle's of simplicity and applied it to how he tunes me.

Edited by Bad Ass Silvy (see edit history)

I have no issues using a better supercharger then the Radix. I am a full supporter of buy the best and dont regret, however, I am not really seeing the tvs1900 or 2300 anywhere for these trucks. If I can find it I would def do the 2300, since its larger and will give better goals, and upgrad a bility. I do need it to be a full bolt on kit like the Radix tho, so that it is easier to install. Any idea where you find these?

I do also agree, I may want to do the tranny first so I am not stuck without the truck for a long period of time

Not sure what your budget is but call here and ask for Brian, tell him Aaron Patrick sent you. He will give you the best deal on a new kit and is a stand up guy. http://www.superchargersonline.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=506_1077_1301_1516_1521

If you are looking for a used TVS kit I'd suggest performancetrucks.net website or PT.net FaceBook group. There you may be able to find a used kit.

I will more then likely buy new just to be sure everything is there and brand new. I am very picky towards parts for vehicles. Thanks for the website I may call them soon. Is there a such thing as a 2300 bolt on kit for our trucks?