Transfer keeps going out

I'm thinkin it's the u-joints I bought off orilleys are just the wrong ones, they fit perfectly and snug though but I'm gonna get new factory ones from the dealership as well as a new adapter cause it broke the adapter around every bolt so my theory is when the back ujoint gave way it twisted the transfer case and broke the adapter. I dunno just trying to make sense of it all. Does anyone have the p/n for the spicer ujoints on hand. Thanks in advance

Seam's to me that something has to be binding up, mechanically, to break U-joint's and the adapter you are talking about.

I'm wondering if the fluid leak was a symptom of bigger problems that are showing up now.

Am I correct in assuming that the U-joints didn't start breaking till after you swapped T-case's?

You didn't hear / feel any heavy "clunck's" or other bad noises when the U-joints and adapter let go?

I replaced the u-joints when I replaced the transfer and it drove fine until I pulled onto the highway and got up to around 75. I'm on a military base so the truck hardly ever sees anything over thirty until last week. Last week when it broke the first time It made a sound like I had an engine brake and I lost power and when I came to a stop the driveshaft was out and one of the caps was missing and the other was in the c- clamp still.

What would it take to get your original case back in shape?

I am thinking that you have to suspect the transfer case you bought and installed.

I think that I would look into rebuilding the original and putting it back in.

Good luck man, sorry I don't have any better ideas for you.

Yea the chain ended up being the only thing wrong with it so I'm gonna swap them out and go with the original, she just didn't take well to a transplant lol naw this site gives me so much info I couldn't ask for a better bunch of guys. Thanks for all the opinions and information everyone. So close to giving up on this truck cause its always something I'm fixing and not being able to spend my extra cash to make it better. But whatever I can't bring myself to sell her lol. Y'all have a good one

I replaced the u-joints when I replaced the transfer and it drove fine until I pulled onto the highway and got up to around 75. I'm on a military base so the truck hardly ever sees anything over thirty until last week. Last week when it broke the first time It made a sound like I had an engine brake and I lost power and when I came to a stop the driveshaft was out and one of the caps was missing and the other was in the c- clamp still.

this might seem kinda stupid but do you know if you have the correct model t-case installed? Should be a nvg 149 np3.....

Yea it's the right one fer sure, I was swapping out the chains just not and noticed a crack leading to a nice size hole int the top but pretty sure that was from when the two hundred dollar adapter broke. Btw paid $96 for each u-joint at the stealership but the quality and peace of mind is def worth it.

Update, so after replacing the transmission filter and pan gasket, the transfer case adapter, swapping transfer cases and buying new spicer ujoints and ujoint straps it runs fine. Only issue I'm having now is aound 80 to 90 it starts making a pulsing vibration but not so bad that I had to let off just didn't want to blow it up again tonight lol. Alignment was done when I had the new tires put on and balanced, so I don't think it's that, what I'm wondering is how the weights should be on the driveshafts. Should it be the front is opposite of the rear? Thanks guys for the input

Edited by Doughty08 (see edit history)