Buying high mileage SS

chadillac

What am I getting into if I buy a higher mileage SS with 140k-160k? What are my options if something happens to the engine? Rebuild? Replace?

What about drivetrain and such?

I'm getting an SS, just trying to decide if I want to save some money and get a higher mileage one.

Thanks.

Like stated above a lot of it has todo with how it was maintained. Since I do all of my own work if something happens to my vehicle. buying a higher milage doesn't effect me if the price is right. also depends on the mod's done to the truck.

I bought a 2001 yukon the had 323K miles on it with the factory motor. it has turned out to be a very good rig for what I have into it. we just took a 1200 trip with it we had 6 people in it loaded with all our stuff for vacation and it did great not a single issue. the guy I bought it from was very good with how it was maintained. it had over $15000.00 worth of receipt's in the glove box of what all he had done to it. one owner vehicle.

If your not a do it your selfer then i'd pay a good shop to look it over. here it is pretty cheap to have them check it over.

First thing I'd make sure of is the drivetrain has been serviced regularly, at that kinda mileage your front end suspension is getting close to being worn out , tie rod ends,ball joints,bushing, leaky shocks, if possible jack the wheels off the ground make sure there isn't to much play,check wheel bearings.

As far as when it brakes that's when windows open for bigger and better (408 stroker,level 7 trans) if you wana go big baller down the road,not something that's for everyone's budget. There are also plenty of options for helping the stock drivetrain but whatever you're looking to do or info on how to do it you came to the right spot, welcome to the site good luck in your search

I agree with what everyone else said above^^^. I think the main thing is just make sure it was maintained well, my SS has high mileage and I would not hesitate to buy it again. I've done basic maintenance on it and behinds the common problems with high mileage vehicles it has been great. I've had the replace the transmission, shocks, and I recently replaced some front end components to freshen everything up and had it aligned. The front diffs are also a common wear point, so check for that you might be able to negotiate down the price if you notice whining or leaking seals with the front diff. I've done all the maintenance myself so its not really a big deal to me but if you have to pay a shop to do everything it might get pretty expensive over time....

There is no common theme when a engine goes out as it can happen in tons of ways. Loss of oil pressure, spun bearings, rod knock etc..

When finding out if it was maintained and if diffs were serviced etc, dont go off of someones word, if they have proof of paperwork then fine. Anyone can go on the computer and make up service dates, type of service and mileage reports in a few minutes.

Basically you will have to check everything out yourself or have it inspected with someone with a lift. With that high of mileage, ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, transmission, are all wear items and might need to get replaced soon if they havent been already. Its a big mystery on what your getting until things start to break.

I wouldn't be afraid of something with high miles if you know the history and owner. I am probably going to be buying a 03' Escalade (same drive-train as a SS) from a good friend in a few months. It has 133,000 on it and although it isn't the prettiest thing since it has been a family vehicle with three kids and two dogs, it has been mechanically maintained. Oil changes have always been done. Whenever something breaks, it gets fixed. He just had the A/C and all the suspension (including the air suspension components) replaced. With the miles on it and the battle scars already on it, for $5k, this will be my new DD.

Would I just go to a corner used car lot and buy something with no service history with those kind of miles... probably not. If the records were in the glove box then I might take a gamble. As always, you can tell a lot from the condition of the vehicle. Just check it out.