Funny Shift

I had a funny thing happen the other day. I stopped at a corner, to make a right turn. I then punched it to about 1/4 throttle and went around the corner. Fun turn, but I didn't want to continue on and floor it, so I just held it at 1/4 throttle. The truck kept smoothly accelerating, as expected, but it did not shift to second till it reached red-line. It then made a somewhat abrupt shift and continued on normally after that. Any ideas why the computer flaked out? :confused:

It sounds somewhat like the transmission reaction in my 2000 5.3 Silverado. I have to slow way down to around 35mph on a sweeping turn to the freeway on ramp to get the truck to kick down a gear when I punch it to the floor. Once I hit that first high rev shift it keeps screaming up towards redline even if I have pulled way off the throttle. About half way. You should see what happens if I keep the throttle pegged. When I crest to the top of this up hill on ramp the light ass end of my sportside loses all traction to the rear and the rev limiter kicks in. Needless to say I don't do that often. Sounds like you still have yet to find the quirks of the SS automatic transmission. Still waiting for mine.

It happened to me again today, the engine was not completely warmed up, but I took off from a stop light, going slightly down hill. I just held the throttle at about 1/3 to 1/4 and it didn't shift when it should have. at about 5000 rpm, I pulled of the throttle with a quick blip and it upshifted. Kinda weird.

I have had the same issue with my 99 5.3 Xcab SB auto. There is a real curvy road that I take on occasion at "higher" speeds. After the curves, there is a stop light...after I start accelerating the 1-2 shift will extend into the 4-5K RPM range before an abrupt shift (abnormal). It will continue to do this for maybe 5 shifts....only in the 1-2 shift. The tech guy at my GM dealer gave me some reasons:

1. Overheated clutch pack

2. Foamy tranny fluid

3. Sticking valve

4. Low tranny fluid

5. Worn internal tranny pump

Hey, if it is new....which it is....take it in and demand it to be serviced.

If anyone else experienced this please report it to GM so it can be assessed for a possible recall.

I pick up my SS tonight and will be glad to trade in my '99! :D

Question, if you were to use one of those program chips do think it would erase this problem of the computer predicting what the driver will do? Also if used, the chip, would the rev limiter be over ridden. alowing the SS to go faster than 108mph?

Question, if you were to use one of those program chips do think it would erase this problem of the computer predicting what the driver will do? Also if used, the chip, would the rev limiter be over ridden. alowing the SS to go faster than 108mph?

And answer for one of your questions. Hypertech III in about 2 to 3 months is coming out with a Power Programmer specifically for the SS. It can eliminate the top speed limiter thus allowing the SS to exceed 108 mph. The programmer allows more performance tuning than just increasing top end speed. I received this info from a Hypertech rep. with a recent phone conversation and believe this information to be accurate ;) :chevy::thumbs:

• 6 months later...

My truck did this once. It scared me a bit... I was in a bad part of town, and I thought I was gonna drop the tranny or something.

I came around a left hand turn, at a stop light, and headed up a small hill. I got on the throttle lightly, and the truck never wanted to get out of first. It ended up shifting around 5K on the tach. Not too hard or anything, but it worried me at the time.

Depending on what the TPS was seeing your shift points may be set at the same speed.... So you could have a TPS reading of 87% and it would shift as though it was WOT

68 TPS 75TPS 81TPS 87TPS 93TPS 100TPS

36 37 45 46 46 46 One to Two Shift

54 57 80 87 87 87 Two to Three Shift

137 254 254 254 254 254 Third to Fourth

16 16 36 36 39 39 Second to First

37 39 47 71 71 71 3/4 to Second

64 76 254 254 254 254

Archived