Maggie guys

I have a 112 and was wondering aside from the Maggie spacer have larger or dual heat exchangers helped with the Iat issues or keeping the Maggie unit cooler?

If you do have a bigger or dual heat exchange can you please post pics and were you purchased the unit from?. Thanks fellas.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I didn't reply to your PM. When Rey (chpspecial) and I tuned I do remember him saying he noticed on the logs that my IAT's stayed lower than most he had seen and seemed to drop much quicker off boost and at cruising speed than most. As far as the exact temp #s IIRC I was around 125-135 cruising. 145-160 boosting and on it. But again I'm just trying to remember, not solid #s.

I have a CTS-V heat exchanger behind grille looped into the Maggie provided larger heat exchanger and a bran new Bosch IC. The coolant even after many miles of driving in 100+ weather temps is always cool to the touch. Not sure if that is normal or not.

They are mounted with brackets that came with my kit so I don't know if they were custom made or bought.

I have a few basic pics but none of the actual mounting area, brackets or plumbing. Plus the site won't allow me to copy/paste into my posts anymore?

Edited by Bad Ass Silvy (see edit history)

I have battled High IAT's for awhile now and recently this last summer installed a meth kit... Using a 50/50 mixture I have seen 30-50' reduction in IAT's and much slower rising of IAT's under spray and boost... I have my kit comming on at 6psi... Before meth on a 80' day i was seeing IAT's 185-205' climbing within seconds at WOT but with meth I am seeing 155-175 and takes much longer to rise that high... Plus the added octane under spray helps with detonation and alowing a little more timing advance... Downside is constantly refilling my one gallon washerfluid resovoir lol.. I would recommend using the washer resovoir or getting one bigger as its not hard to get into boost and spray a ton of meth... The 2 quart kits are not enough at all IMO... So i went with a DevilsOwn kit which taps into the exsisting washer fluid resovoir... Also I have installed but not used yet a larger intercooler resovoir tank as the OEM one from magnusen maybe holds a quart and my new one can hold over a gallon plus the maggie one... For $250-$300 for the DO kit its worth it IMO and I am still trying to dial my tune in slowly due to the added octane...

Edited by 2003_SuperSport (see edit history)

Meth is great for boosted vehicles! I'm not sure why more people don't use it?

Me either.... :confused: ... I have ideas why some chose not to, but for the price of a good simple kit why not. My specific mods list and application it is perfect for it... People spend money on alot of other dumb Sh*t like TB spacers and cosmetic stuff, so why not for only $250-$300... I know NO2 is way better for cooling and HP gains NAWWWWSSS..... But for me it would cost about $1100-$1500 for a kit I am comfortable with on my maggie truck...

Some reasons I could think why people say its not good are: Myth 1.) They see no gains with it. (This I agree and disagree. You need to have it properly tuned for meth because it acts as extra octane under boost thus allowing you to add more timing or maintaining current timing which is normally pulled due to high IAT's which is where you gain or otherwords not lose HP... It would be like adding racing fuel to your car and expecting a 50hp increase LOL. For a rough estimate it is aproxamatley 1% gain or loss for every degree of timing.) Myth 2.) The cooling effects are not as good as people say or company says it is. (This is also depends on what forced induction unit and company you are using, for instance a mp112 will benifit alot more than would a turbo or centrifugal supercharger due to the huge amounts of heat a mp112 is known for... Once again another aproximate figure for temps is every 10degrees above ambiant you lose about 1% hp, so the higher IATS your charger or turbo run the more you lose due to timing being pulled by the PCM... For example if you have a 500hp motor running 10 degrees above ambiant at 1% loss it would equate to 5hp loss, and if you're a typical maggie user at 180's IAT at 80degree ambiant 100 degrees above at 500hp would be 50hp loss which is horrible and if I can save even 30 degrees on that that is 15hp I won't lose and more due to extra timing I can use due to octane which could be as much as 30-50hp saved or gained which to me 50hp's for $300 is a good buy for me as a CAI only nets about 10-15hps and cost the same) Octane helps maintain timing due to higher IAT's and meth and water displacement of heat is better than gas itself at dissipating heat... It's a no brainer for us guys and gals running older maggie superchargers until we can afford a small shot of nitrous LOL... All in my opinion and personal experience with meth so far and by no means are these set in stone figures but hope it gives you a better Idea in the dicision of meth... :rant:

I have battled High IAT's for awhile now and recently this last summer installed a meth kit... Using a 50/50 mixture I have seen 30-50' reduction in IAT's and much slower rising of IAT's under spray and boost... I have my kit comming on at 6psi... Before meth on a 80' day i was seeing IAT's 185-205' climbing within seconds at WOT but with meth I am seeing 155-175 and takes much longer to rise that high... Plus the added octane under spray helps with detonation and alowing a little more timing advance... Downside is constantly refilling my one gallon washerfluid resovoir lol.. I would recommend using the washer resovoir or getting one bigger as its not hard to get into boost and spray a ton of meth... The 2 quart kits are not enough at all IMO... So i went with a DevilsOwn kit which taps into the exsisting washer fluid resovoir... Also I have installed but not used yet a larger intercooler resovoir tank as the OEM one from magnusen maybe holds a quart and my new one can hold over a gallon plus the maggie one... For $250-$300 for the DO kit its worth it IMO and I am still trying to dial my tune in slowly due to the added octane...

We spoke about method when you bought my reservoir, I do plan on running method and the Maggie spacer I just wasn't sure if a bigger heat exchanger would help even more to lower iat's.

I live in Texas and nothing worked for reducing the IAT's that heat pump put out. I tried Meth, Larger Exchangers, Chiller Boxes..you name it we tried it so I ultimately just added nitrous to make up for all the horse power I was losing due the timing being retarded because of the iAT's. On a 90 degree day here which is the norm I'd see 170 degree plus IAT's just on the drive to the track. I ultimately just gave up trying.

Edited by brobradh77 (see edit history)

One method a lot of the SVT guys are using is a "Killer Chiller". It's a heat exchanger that taps into the low side of your air conditioning system. Refrigerant (R134a) runs through one set of water jackets, and your coolant runs through another set of jackets in the heat exchanger. So essentially, your intercooling system is constantly running through a ice-cold heat exchanger and therefore making IAT ambient or in some cases, lower than ambient air temps. I myself don't have any experience with these kits, but I've read up on them a bit. This is another method that I'm not quite sure why it isn't more commonly used. Sounds like a great idea to me!!

We spoke about method when you bought my reservoir, I do plan on running method and the Maggie spacer I just wasn't sure if a bigger heat exchanger would help even more to lower iat's.

Of course it would help... Larger area, more air moving through the hot coolant due to larger area, but how much I dont know??? I would guess 10-20' IAT improvement IDK... Then again it would also determine whether you had efans that pull more air through when your sitting or staging etc... But then again every bit helps and If I could get one cheap I would in a heartbeat... I am already to far into this mp112 to look back so I might as well push through and make it as efficient as possible now... :jester:

I know where you are coming from money wise.

Know kidding... I can usually skimp and save $300-$500 at a time for my truck and buy something little, but know way can I save over 6K for a new blower... It would take me 3 years to do that and I don't have the patience to wait that long...I have a severe addiction to modding my truck and its like asking a crack addict to stop smoking for a month when he doesn't want to quit LOL... I'd rather buy little things here and there as I love working on my truck like a kid at Christmas everytime I get something new like a new gauge,a meth kit, hopefully some NO2, or even new spark plugs LOL... I will eventually get to the point where my egine bay will look like a hoarders closet and can't stuff any more things in it, and then, just then, I may get a bigger blower LOL...