HELP!

Ok guys, this may be along shot because I know most if you guys are SSS owners but I was wondering what the best cam to run for my 5.3l rcsb, I know it's kind of just a personal preference because there are so many to choose from, but here's my problem, I know new sprigs and lifters are a must but I don't really want to have to go with bigger injectors or anything else, kinda if just keep it as stock as possibly, also, this truck is my DD so it needs to be street able,

Mods now: CAI, lts and full exhaust

The cam I've really been looking at is a tr220 or a tsp220 because I've heard they are pretty much the same cam. But my question is, is there another cam that will put out more hp and torque without have to upgrade injectors and all?

I've been all over the internet looking, I've checked the cam guide here, and I'm just not finding tr answers I'm looking for. I also plan on building the trans, with either a 3000 or 3200 stall.

Thanks in advance- Kyle

either 220 is a good cam for a 5.3. the problem most people run into including myself is that these trucks are heavy and need a larger converter to get them moving. Id suggest the 3200, but thats just me. lifters are not a must. They are more of a precaution thing. Iv done plenty of cam swaps where we never changed a lifter, oil pump, or timing chain, and none of them had any issues. A shift kit, some servos, and a nice trans cooler are all you will need for your trans unless it already has issues or high miles. I dont believe that you will need injectors with a 5.3 but I could be wrong.

either 220 is a good cam for a 5.3. the problem most people run into including myself is that these trucks are heavy and need a larger converter to get them moving. Id suggest the 3200, but thats just me. lifters are not a must. They are more of a precaution thing. Iv done plenty of cam swaps where we never changed a lifter, oil pump, or timing chain, and none of them had any issues. A shift kit, some servos, and a nice trans cooler are all you will need for your trans unless it already has issues or high miles. I dont believe that you will need injectors with a 5.3 but I could be wrong.

so do you think this cam would be able to push the most hp for what I'm looking for. Or do you think I could go with some different? If so, what one? I'm new to this part of the truck world.

Thunder Racing is no longer in business so unless someone has one in stock new or a used one would be the only way to get that one. The TSP cam is a all around tried and true package with a 3k converter, beehive springs, seals, some chromoly push rods, 8.1l marine injectors or green tops, and a tune.

IMO just have a package speced for what you want. An off the shelf cam is good for what you are looking for, but for a few more dollars a speced cam for you can get you more for what you want.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

well what are your goals with the truck and how do you use it? As well as budget. Do you tow? Use as a truck? All out drag truck? That will tell us a lot. There is no cut and dry answer when it comes to spec'ing cams.I usually like to pick the stall first depending on how you use the truck and plan to, and then have someone that is an expert spec me a custom cam for my particular application. Off the shelf cams are fine, but there is a lot left on the table as every engine and user is different.

well what are your goals with the truck and how do you use it? As well as budget. Do you tow? Use as a truck? All out drag truck? That will tell us a lot. There is no cut and dry answer when it comes to spec'ing cams.I usually like to pick the stall first depending on how you use the truck and plan to, and then have someone that is an expert spec me a custom cam for my particular application. Off the shelf cams are fine, but there is a lot left on the table as every engine and user is different.

my truck is just my dd. Not really looking for a drag truck but I want it to have some bite the most I'll run it is just around town in a street race, I don't do any towing either. My plan is to stop at a cam for this truck anyway and if I wanted more I'd probably just start a build project. So just something to beat cars around town but still a nice DD

call some lsx performance shops, your tuner, and some guys that spec cams for a living and let them put a package together for ya. you wont be disapointed.... or just swap in a 6.0 and put a cam in that....

call some lsx performance shops, your tuner, and some guys that spec cams for a living and let them put a package together for ya. you wont be disapointed.... or just swap in a 6.0 and put a cam in that....

thanks for all the help, greatly appreciated! I'll do some calling around and get something together, but as for the 6.0 I'm gonna have to wait with only 53K on this motor I think I'll let it have a little bit of glory. Lol