Fire in the engine bay!!

Mr. Hyoosten-Techsus

Hey my SS brothers...

Not new to the sight but this is my first post so I figured I'd tell my unfortunate story. Recently had the transmission replaced in favor of a built piece ( shift kit, vette servo, hardened output, yadda yadda yadda) work was done picked the truck up drove it home. On the initial drive home, everything was alright...quick, firm shifts...silky smooth on the shift handle from P to 1, nothing suspicious at all. Got home & took a quick peek underneath for leaks...everything looks good. 2nd trip down the freeway I notice smoke in the rearview as Im driving & I'm hearing noises underneath & truck starts to shudder @ 70 mph. I get off the freeway & as soon as I came to a complete stop, smoke just billows out from under the hood. got the truck to limp to the shoulder & it just dies before I can cut it off. I get out and see a trail of "blood" leading up to where I stopped & I see a fire growing under the hood. Was able to put it out with an extinguisher. Found that the cause was one of the trans cooling lines unsecured itself, & the trans "bled out" and managed to douse the engine bay with fluid. Long story short, I filed a claim w/ insurance & they totaled it. I was paid a king's ransom for it (shout out to statefarm!!) & bought it back. Got a boatload of goodies on deck & currently in the process of building her back up in my driveway. I've never done anything this extensive before (I dabble though...LOL) been turning wrenches on F-16's for 13+ yrs so I figured this truck can't be too much different. Anyways, not trying to talk you guys' heads off, just looking forward to getting my baby back on her feet.

post-24132-0-88778600-1391493470_thumb.jpgpost-24132-0-99729400-1391494053_thumb.jpgpost-24132-0-35562700-1391494159_thumb.jpgpost-24132-0-71191900-1391494354_thumb.jpg

post-24132-0-32199500-1391493513_thumb.jpg

post-24132-0-36261600-1391493531_thumb.jpg

post-24132-0-03888900-1391493550_thumb.jpg

post-24132-0-41677000-1391493601_thumb.jpg

post-24132-0-13476500-1391493620_thumb.jpg

Hey Dan,

Welcome to the site. My first thought while reading your post was "Hey; I don't have an extinguisher in my truck". Also was thinking "Man what a sad story"Sure glad to hear that you have the skills and desire to get the truck back up and running. From what I can tell from your pics it looks like she was in good shape and a pretty truck.

Was the shop found responsible for the fire or was it just old parts that gave way? Keep us posted on your rebuild progress.

Thanks for the replies fellas...

After I talked to my insurance ,they suggested it wouldn't hold up going after the trans shop because I bought the transmission second hand & they didn't do any work on it...they simply installed what I brought to them. The shop was cool though...I told the owner what happened & he agreed to repair/rebuild whatever was wrong with the trans. The line that came loose was actually on transmission side. Not sure which one (inlet or outlet) but it locks in place the same way as the opposite ends running to the cooler, just a little plastic coupling cover & a lockring & it pops right out. I was kind of surprised by that...I thought there would've been something a little more reassuring than that, but definitely worth the change to replace with some AN fittings. Currently waiting to get engine back from the machine shop & then the fun begins...finally got a proper top-end for the 408...PRC heads, kooks exhaust, LSXRT102/NW 102 & a swole ass cam LOL!! Needless to say, I'm definitely tired of looking at these boxes & chompin' at the bit to get this fire-breather put back together & on the street!

If the shop installed the lines the damage is on them. While I haven't personally worked with those line connections, I have read that they are or at least can be tricky to recognize whether or not they are properly connected. The AN fittings sound like a real good idea.

Looking forward to checking out the rest of your build.

Mr. Hyoosten-Techsus,

I am truly sorry to learn about your vehicle issue you are experienced. I would be happy to look into this concern for you. Please private message me your name, address, phone number, VIN, and current mileage?

Jennifer T.

Chevrolet Customer Care

Mr. Hyoosten-Techsus,

I am truly sorry to learn about your vehicle issue you are experienced. I would be happy to look into this concern for you. Please private message me your name, address, phone number, VIN, and current mileage?

Jennifer T.

Chevrolet Customer Care

LMAO what is GM going to do about a third party transmission builder not properly securing cooler lines in the rebuilt unit?

To the OP sorry to hear the bad luck, but the shop is on the hook for this one. Get a attorney and kick them in the teeth!

Thanks for the replies fellas...

After I talked to my insurance ,they suggested it wouldn't hold up going after the trans shop because I bought the transmission second hand & they didn't do any work on it...they simply installed what I brought to them. The shop was cool though...I told the owner what happened & he agreed to repair/rebuild whatever was wrong with the trans. The line that came loose was actually on transmission side. Not sure which one (inlet or outlet) but it locks in place the same way as the opposite ends running to the cooler, just a little plastic coupling cover & a lockring & it pops right out. I was kind of surprised by that...I thought there would've been something a little more reassuring than that, but definitely worth the change to replace with some AN fittings. Currently waiting to get engine back from the machine shop & then the fun begins...finally got a proper top-end for the 408...PRC heads, kooks exhaust, LSXRT102/NW 102 & a swole ass cam LOL!! Needless to say, I'm definitely tired of looking at these boxes & chompin' at the bit to get this fire-breather put back together & on the street!

WRONG! The part that failed they are responsible for. If the line came out of the fitting at the case that is a line that they removed to uninstall and re-install the current transmission. I'd have their head on a stick!

If the shop installed the lines the damage is on them. While I haven't personally worked with those line connections, I have read that they are or at least can be tricky to recognize whether or not they are properly connected. The AN fittings sound like a real good idea.

Looking forward to checking out the rest of your build.

easy to do man... push in and hear a click. Grab a small pry bar and try to pry them back out while giving them a wiggle... IF they dont release side the plastic retainer over and get on with the rest of the installation process.

easy to do man... push in and hear a click. Grab a small pry bar and try to pry them back out while giving them a wiggle... IF they dont release side the plastic retainer over and get on with the rest of the installation process.

Thanks for that. I haven't seen these up close yet, but will be dealing with them before too long.

• 1 month later...

update:

Got the short block back from the machine shop & I must say she cleaned up pretty damn nice!!!

gave the pan & transmission a fresh coat. All I'm needing now is the harness then i'll be ready to put all this back together.

post-24132-0-29633000-1395379854_thumb.jpg

post-24132-0-80847800-1395379787_thumb.jpg

post-24132-0-15818200-1395380967_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

post-24132-0-30840800-1398625912_thumb.jpg post-24132-0-36937600-1398628933_thumb.jpg

FINALLY...got some down time to drop the motor in!! Dropped right in w/ no fuss...new harness lined up perfectly. Still got a bunch of little loose ends to tie off. Right now I'm just waiting on a flywheel holding tool to torque the converter bolts & balancer bolt. Also gotta splice pigtail adapters for injectors & still replace the master cylinder + battery. Should definitely be ready next week for crank up & break-in/ shakedown. More pictures to come when I'm all the way done.