Tranny flush with 130,000+?

So I bought the truck with 110,000 last year. I have no idea what has been done with it other then the transfer case was replaced buy me 6 months ago.

So I have heard that a trans flush can get rid of all of you clutch packing in the oil.

Is it smart to do a flush with this many miles? It is driving fine just would like to take care of the truck.

Thanks in advance Donavon

And i've heard just the opposite. A flush can kill a higher mileage tranny. I was recommended by my trans mechanic to do only a drain and filter change.

X2 There is a school of thought that feels a flush in high mile tranny's "can" break loose sludge and clog passageway's causing more harm than good. I think that I would go the oil & filter route, myself.

Wish Brian was around to offer his take on it. Second post in as many days that he could help out on.

I never flush transmissions. I always just drain the fluid and replace the filter and add fresh new fluid . Normally a transmission flush is not recommended on a higher milage tranmission because it stirs up all the nasty stuff sitting in the pan and sends it right back into the transmission sometimes causing transmission failure.

I drive a Honda for my daily driver and they highly recommend not to flush.What I have always done is drain the fuild. drive it for a few hundred miles then drain and refill again.

I never flush transmissions. I always just drain the fluid and replace the filter and add fresh new fluid . Normally a transmission flush is not recommended on a higher milage tranmission because it stirs up all the nasty stuff sitting in the pan and sends it right back into the transmission sometimes causing transmission failure.

I drive a Honda for my daily driver and they highly recommend not to flush.What I have always done is drain the fuild. drive it for a few hundred miles then drain and refill again.

This

I've never flushed a trans, just drain. I hear the same about the high mileage trans unless it's something that has been done routinely since new. What I hear is that if you got bad clutches already the density of the used oil will keep it going and when you to add new oil (less dense then new) it'll cause slipping in the clutches.

How true that is, idk.

I agree, dont flush it, the worst thing you can do. Drop the pan, replace the gasket and filter. Clean the pan, magnet and the valve body. I had a buddy who flushed his trans in his Lincoln for the first time with a little over 100K on it. The car made it two blocks before the trans went out. Its possible you could be ok, but I wouldnt chance it. You do it yourself, you know its being done the right way.

I don't know guys, I had my trans flushed at 50k miles and refilled with Royal Purple fluid. I'm at 106k now and she runs good! But of course, to flush possibly the first time at 130k miles, that's a different story....

Everyone in this thread is correct except one. Below is that example. Flushing a high mileage transmisison is asking for trouble. Ill bet the OP has no idea when the last time the fluid had been changed or if ever. With that said when you flush you break up small particles of crap inside and can plug up the oil circuitry. Oil starvation is a killer and doesnt take much time to do so. Changing fluid and filter is by far the best way to go. Also adding a bottle of friction modifier with the new oil wont hurt a bit. You can get this at any parts store when you get your fluid. I forget the brand but its in a little silver bottle.

On another note. When buying your new filter "kit" try to keep from buying the parts store brand such as Oreillys. I have seen many of these filters collapse internally. Obviously when this happens it starves the pump and turns a loss of power or wont engage any forward gears complaint. Then after it sits it will settle back and able to feed fluid to the pump. Then collapse again back to the same deal.

Go to the dealer and get a filter and gasket kit. Yes it will be higher priced but iv seen 3 of these cheap filters collapse and its just not worth the hassle. I would rather spend the extra on a quality filter than be stuck out in BFE!

Not a bad idea at all keeping the tranny clean and cool will make it last a while. Even longer if you add a shift kit like superior or transgo hd2

go home, you're drunk

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

I don't know guys, I had my trans flushed at 50k miles and refilled with Royal Purple fluid. I'm at 106k now and she runs good! But of course, to flush possibly the first time at 130k miles, that's a different story....

You did your flush were it's recommended, i think 60k is what the manual says. So if you do your routinely I would assume you'd be ok. Or at least that's the theory.

Everyone in this thread is correct except one. Below is that example. Flushing a high mileage transmisison is asking for trouble. Ill bet the OP has no idea when the last time the fluid had been changed or if ever. With that said when you flush you break up small particles of crap inside and can plug up the oil circuitry. Oil starvation is a killer and doesnt take much time to do so. Changing fluid and filter is by far the best way to go. Also adding a bottle of friction modifier with the new oil wont hurt a bit. You can get this at any parts store when you get your fluid. I forget the brand but its in a little silver bottle.

On another note. When buying your new filter "kit" try to keep from buying the parts store brand such as Oreillys. I have seen many of these filters collapse internally. Obviously when this happens it starves the pump and turns a loss of power or wont engage any forward gears complaint. Then after it sits it will settle back and able to feed fluid to the pump. Then collapse again back to the same deal.

Go to the dealer and get a filter and gasket kit. Yes it will be higher priced but iv seen 3 of these cheap filters collapse and its just not worth the hassle. I would rather spend the extra on a quality filter than be stuck out in BFE!

go home, you're drunk

Good to see you back man. :cheers:

Wow. Cool I'm glad I asked. A lot of info. It's always been a topic with me and my family. I'm strongly confident that not doing it is right. One other question. How hard is it do a shift kit my self? I'm pretty hands on but have never been inside a tranny before. So never done a shift kit. Do you have to drop it? What's all needed?

Again thank you for the info. A lot of smart people here. Hats off to all of you