Overdrive keeps shifting up and down at cruising speed.

This just started this morning. I was cruising at 45mph after driving 20minutes. All of a sudden the trans started shifting up and down so that it felt like it was stuttering. I put it in Tow/Haul mode and made it the rest of the way to work. On the way home, it was fine until the trans reached temp for the OD to kick in(5 minutes) and it started again. I put it tow/haul and drove home.

Does this just sound like a solenoid problem or something internal? Is it hard to swap out solenoids? I had a shop go through the trans about 4years ago.

As an added note, I had high perf solenoids in the truck before the trans was gone through. The shop removed them and said it would help the longevity. I never had the ECM retuned after they removed them. Would this cause an issue? Like I said, it was 4 years ago.

Your problem is the lockup clutch and has nothing to do with 4th gear. Converter clutch is possibly shitting the bed or the valve body is worn from the steel lockup valve. I would lean more towards the converter clutch. If you keep driving it without fixing it, it will require a complete rebuild if it doesnt need it already.

Replace it, dump your fluid, change Trans filter and try that.

Your problem is the lockup clutch and has nothing to do with 4th gear. Converter clutch is possibly shitting the bed or the valve body is worn from the steel lockup valve. I would lean more towards the converter clutch. If you keep driving it without fixing it, it will require a complete rebuild if it doesnt need it already.

This mans info is usually correct. ^^^